Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm too nerdy to handle this

+4
Hayden_Bloom
kumarhk
Mandi
Roundapanda
8 posters

Go down

I'm too nerdy to handle this Empty I'm too nerdy to handle this

Post  Roundapanda Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:00 pm

A thread where we may express things we, as nerds, are simply too obsessive/ socially awkward/twitchy/worrisome to handle.

With me it's public transport. Not only are there lot's of strangers in a small, confined space (bad touch, BAD TOUCH!!!) but there are stops to worry about. Am I on the right bus/train? Is this my stop? Is this my stop? WAS THAT MY STOP? OH HOLY HELL! AM I EVEN ON THE RIGHT ROUTE? AM I STILL IN NEWCASTLE
WHERE THE HELL- oh wait, here it is.

Also there are certain book to movie adaptions I am getting incredibly twitchy about. Sometimes I'm like *Squee!* but then I remind myself how angry this is bound to make me... at least I'll have Kumar to bitch to...
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

I'm too nerdy to handle this Empty Re: I'm too nerdy to handle this

Post  Mandi Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 pm

How's this for nerdy, I think I would probably really like public transit, except I get really motion sick. I drive almost everywhere that isn't within walking distance.

My motion sickness has defined many aspects of my life. If it wasn't for my motion sickness I'd probably be a professional sailor and a paramedic.

Hmmm... actually, I'm kinda glad things worked out the way they did, but it sure would be nice to read on car trips without doping up on anti-nauseants.
Mandi
Mandi

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 pm

I love public transport. It's so incredibly cheap and it gets me everywhere. And they have little flashing lights to tell you where you are. Very Happy

But then if I've been on the metro of ages and haven't been in a car-type vehicle, the next time I get on a car/bus/taxi, I start to get the twinges of motion sickness. It's not too bad in a bus, but in a car/taxi, it's really uncomfortable for the first ten minutes or so.

Roundapanda wrote:Also there are certain book to movie adaptions I am getting incredibly twitchy about. Sometimes I'm like *Squee!* but then I remind myself how angry this is bound to make me... at least I'll have Kumar to bitch to...
I'm here for you ... Razz
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:13 am

I am totally National Express' bitch. I use it almost every day, and I don't think I've ever had a journey that hasn't been delayed or cancelled or whatever, and they have this hideous beaurocratic system which means that to get your refund (Its your by rights if a train is cancelled or delayed by over a half hour) you actually end up paying about a fiver and filling out thousands of forms. I still use the trains, because I have but one friend who lives in the same town as me. I actually used to have lots of pals in Hutton but the place has gone waaaaaaaaaay downhill. Really thats another post, but lets just say that this used to be (officially!) the 7th nicest village in the UK. Now there are three separate dug dealers living down my street.

Going onto the actual topic of this thread, there is one massive thing that I just cannot handle. Parties. I'm fucking shit at them. What do I do, should I just talk about whatever shit I've been up to? All I've been up to is watching DVDs and fucking aboot with imaginary friends! Nobody cares aboot that, most of the people I know have never even heard of Twitter, and they definitely don't know what a tracking shot is. So that means I just end up wandering around, noticing somebody I've shared a brief conversation with once or twice and just raising my glass and yelling 'hey how goes?' before just fucking off to the toilet to listen to podcasts on my own and get fucked off my face on very strong drinks. And they always play really wanky stuff, fucking My Chem and Oasis. I guess if peeps stuck my iPod on the speakers they'd just be standing around, shuffling their feet to Nick Drake and Scott Walker, but there is still so much better music out there than what gets played.

This is why I don't get invited to parties anymore. I'm a fucking cynic with about the same amount of enthusiasm for talking to people as the filmspotting crew have for movies. I don't care though. I turned down a party the other week to listen to SHaFT, and the saddest thing about it is that I ended up not even listening to that episode, I was just on Skype with Eliza. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I suppose I should really have gone to that real life event.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:43 am

If you want people to think you're a great conversationalist, ask them lots of questions about themselves. This works especially well on shallow party goers.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:52 am

Parties are overrated. I'd much rather have dinner with a few close friends, which is what we usually do when some big party is going on and we don't want to go.
kumarhk
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Mandi wrote:If you want people to think you're a great conversationalist, ask them lots of questions about themselves. This works especially well on shallow party goers.

See when I want I can be a good conversationalist. Thing is I don't care enough aboot any of the people at parties to think of stuff to talk to chat about.

And Kumar, my group of friends are exactly the same. Remember the Pixar marathon? At the same time that that was going on, the other 200 people in my year were having a massive piss up at someones house.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:06 pm

I just find it's good trick if one doesn't really care. Of course, when I don't care I mostly just ignore the people I don't care about, so I'm mostly just talking shit. I especially hate work parties. I skipped the last two.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Hayden_Bloom wrote:At the same time that that was going on, the other 200 people in my year were having a massive piss up at someones house.
They were probably drinking a lot and getting very shitfaced, weren't they? Damned teenagers these days! When I was a teenager ... never mind.
kumarhk
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Teenage house parties can be a bit obnoxious. But they get better as you get older and tend to actually know everyone there. And then they just seem to stop happening (or become a lot smaller and involve dinner). I like parties now. But only if I know 60% of the people there. Which I don't anymore and avoid them like the plague.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  rob Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Hayden Bloom has more or less expressed what I think about parties. And also the friend thing , I do not have friends I can reach without travelling by public transport. Which seriously limits the amount of time I can spend in the evening. ( concerts, parties etc. I have to leave around 22:30) However, since I'm moving in a few week's time I shall stop dwelling on what will soon be the past Very Happy

Parties would be fun if I could have a decent conversation. This is something which doesn't seem to be on the cards when going to a 'party' . Loud awful music , too much drink, nothing to say and my non-existent confidence usually culminate in a less than stellar experience. I don't care anymore , staying home is cool.
rob
rob

http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Mandi wrote:If you want people to think you're a great conversationalist, ask them lots of questions about themselves. This works especially well on shallow party goers.

This would so work on me Embarassed
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:01 pm

If everyone else in my year got hot over nicely lit shots in films then I'd be alright. I have come to a bit of a conclusion that I could actually use these parties as a way to experiment with all of these suggestions that you guys have thrown out and some other ideas that ive had. I'm only gonna know most of the peeps in my year for another 2 school years so what does it matter? Ah, but there is a problem that these parties are all little more than orgies of Caligula proportions, so I dunno if there is much point trying to be James Bond, when I can just be Dirk Diggler.

Fucking hell, I'm sorry about rambling. It's late, and I don't really wanna go to bed until this album finishes.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  yohan Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:15 pm

I find parties and clubbing to be incredibly boring. I'm all about specific activities.
yohan
yohan

http://www.kimchicinema.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down