Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV Show Hurdles

+10
Domino
weathereye
Hayden_Bloom
kumarhk
Marius
Jakob
yohan
Mekka
Mandi
ori-STUDFARM
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TV Show Hurdles Empty TV Show Hurdles

Post  ori-STUDFARM Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:03 pm

We've got the Movies and the Music hurdles. Most of mine are TV based

I have a real Hurdle when it comes to original series Doctor Who. I listen to podcasts reviewing them and I can talk to people about Troughton or Hartnell or Pertwee or my childhood Doctors, Tom Baker and Peter Davison....but I won't watch it. I've read books and listened to audio drama's. I know a little about the original shows but can't sit down and actually watch them....

I think it has more to do with the stereotypical "Whovian" than it does the actual shows.

Hard to explain, really! Neutral
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

TV Show Hurdles Empty Re: TV Show Hurdles

Post  Mandi Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:31 pm

As a kid I would immediately change the channel if I saw anything Whovian (think scarf). I don't really know why though. I've been since told that I'm missing out. I'm starting to realize that I need my hand held at the beginning of any nersploration. Who will hold my Who hand?
Mandi
Mandi

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Fri May 01, 2009 8:07 am

These heathen quotes burn my eyes!

This Whovian (who only learnt the word Whovian recently) loves all things 'classic' Who. New Who is good but it had to move with the times and lost a little of it's magic.

I can well understand why people wouldn't like it. I love it, I don't really need to push it down the throats of Philistines. As to whether I'm a typical Whovian, I don't think I am. Others may disagree.

Mandi, I will hold your hand. If you truly wish to explore the land of Who.
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  yohan Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 pm

The Wire. There's too much to watch.

And Seinfeld. I don't think I've ever seen an entire episode.
yohan
yohan

http://www.kimchicinema.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Fri May 01, 2009 2:02 pm

My mom used to forbid my brother and I to watch Seinfeld. She said it promoted promiscuity. The funny part is that I was in my twenties and my brohter was in his teens. Needless to say, her decree had little effect on our viewing habits.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Fri May 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Sein... feld... Rolling Eyes I don't think he actually had sex in the ten years the show was on did he?
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM Fri May 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Mekka wrote:These heathen quotes burn my eyes!

This Whovian (who only learnt the word Whovian recently) loves all things 'classic' Who. New Who is good but it had to move with the times and lost a little of it's magic.

I can well understand why people wouldn't like it. I love it, I don't really need to push it down the throats of Philistines. As to whether I'm a typical Whovian, I don't think I am. Others may disagree.

I enjoy listening to the Cadmium 2 podcasts and love thier reviews of original Who. I think my problem with actually watching it, is knowing that it will ruin the mental image that the C2 team have instilled in my mind. I love their review and retellings of the show. I seem to have all the Who love and participate in the same activities as Whovians do...except actually watching the show.... Like I said, weird!
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Fri May 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Jakob wrote:Sein... feld... Rolling Eyes I don't think he actually had sex in the ten years the show was on did he?
It was based entirely on an episode she saw where Kramer was trying to get someone pregnant so he'd know if his sperm worked.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:

I enjoy listening to the Cadmium 2 podcasts and love thier reviews of original Who. I think my problem with actually watching it, is knowing that it will ruin the mental image that the C2 team have instilled in my mind. I love their review and retellings of the show. I seem to have all the Who love and participate in the same activities as Whovians do...except actually watching the show.... Like I said, weird!

Cadmium 2 and The Tin Dog Podcast are worth listening to. They're both great Who podacasts. I just can't understand why you would listen if you have no intention to watch. What is it that grabs your attention on the C2 podcasts? They're brutally honest about Whos faults. (Not that I'm putting down the podcast, it's one of my top 5) Have you ever tried to watch Dr Who in the last 10 yrs?
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Fri May 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Sitcoms. Some of my favorite shows have been sitcoms, but it takes an act of God to get me to watch a new one. I'm told that The Big Bang Theory is awesome, but I just can't get myself to watch it.
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 am

Marius wrote:Sitcoms. Some of my favorite shows have been sitcoms, but it takes an act of God to get me to watch a new one. I'm told that The Big Bang Theory is awesome, but I just can't get myself to watch it.
Have you ever seen Full House?
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Sat May 02, 2009 10:32 am

The unfortunate ones have.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Sat May 02, 2009 11:01 am

kumarhk wrote:
Marius wrote:Sitcoms. Some of my favorite shows have been sitcoms, but it takes an act of God to get me to watch a new one. I'm told that The Big Bang Theory is awesome, but I just can't get myself to watch it.
No.
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM Sat May 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Mekka wrote:
ori-STUDFARM wrote:

Cadmium 2 and The Tin Dog Podcast are worth listening to. They're both great Who podacasts. I just can't understand why you would listen if you have no intention to watch. What is it that grabs your attention on the C2 podcasts? They're brutally honest about Whos faults. (Not that I'm putting down the podcast, it's one of my top 5) Have you ever tried to watch Dr Who in the last 10 yrs?

What actually put me off was watching the Pertwee ones a few months back. The background music just grated. I think actually watching the pre-Tom Baker ones will all be a bit of a let down. I am interested in watching the Troughton ones though. Don't think I've ever watched one of his episodes
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Sat May 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I can't be arsed with any British Sci-Fi. It's all shit.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye Sat May 02, 2009 8:25 pm

One of my closest friends moved to Los Angeles to try to make it as a comedian. He ended up writing for Full House. Now he installs home security systems in Ottawa.

I'm with Marius. New sitcoms just don't cut it for me. Arrested Development set the bar so high, I can't handle laugh tracks anymore.

And The Wire, too. Everyone swears by it. I have all five seasons on DVD. And I can't make it through the first couple of episodes. It just doesn't seem like anything new.

I tend to reject Canadian programming automatically, then hear later that it's actually pretty good. So I check it out, but it turns out I was right the first time.
weathereye
weathereye

http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Marius wrote:
kumarhk wrote:
No.
You should. It's an awesome, glorious cheesefest that makes you smile a lot. It also simultaneously lets you enjoy sitcoms again by lowering the bar Very Happy

Still, one of my favourite TV shows ever. Cheese at its very best.
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino Sun May 03, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm pretty ashamed to admit i watch Regis & Kelly and The View although less of The View now that Whoopi is on.

For some reason I've also seen every episode of Twice In A Lifetime which is horrible.

I used to watch 3rd Rock From The Sun which is terrible.

Why can't they make another Wonder Years that is as awesome? You can't even buy that on DVD yet! At least you couldn't last year.

Testees is Canadian and its AWESOME. So are the original Kenny VS Spenny.
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Fri May 22, 2009 7:49 am

Red Dwarf is a hurdle for me. I've watched seasons one and two, in fact I own them both on DVD and I enjoy them very much whenever I stick them in, but I don't care to go any further. I know that at the end of the day, its only another sitcom, and its almost a tenner per season. Also, I've seen the new episodes, so I know just how much the quality declines.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho Fri May 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Domino wrote:I used to watch 3rd Rock From The Sun which is terrible.

Wow, that's so weird. In New Zealand we saw an American show by exactly the same name but it was hilarious and awesome. Like every single thing John Lithgow has ever done.

Coincidence? Or a result of robots taking over the planet while people are busy preparing for the zombie uprising?

(I prefer 'uprising' to apocalypse when refering to zombies, because I'm trying to embrace double entendre)
Bucho
Bucho

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Fri May 22, 2009 4:22 pm

yohan wrote:The Wire. There's too much to watch.
There can never be too much Wire! Each season is like a more or less self-contained 12-hour movie, so you can just watch season one, and by the last episode every loose end will have been tied up. But, once you watch that first season, you will be unable to stop yourself from watching every other season.
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Fri May 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Seinfeld did not age well. I loved it at the time, but now only a few episodes hold up ("The Contest" is an example, and the Soup Nazi). It's not bad and still has some great lines, like Teri Hatcher proclaiming "they're real and they're specatular!" It's less than it used to be.

Big Bang Theory may not age well, either. There is no way to know the future on this. Right now, though, it is the only TV show that I intentionally watch -- that I seek out. Well worth the 22 minutes spread out over a 30 minute time slot.

Dr. Who is a hurdle I fear I'd need a pole vault approach to overcome. And it's not a Brit-show thing because I love Monty Python and The Avengers.
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Seinfeld aged worse than perhaps any TV out there ever. Disproportionally worse. It was good for the catchphrases and idioms. One of those shows far more entertaining retold at the water-cooler. It was Jerry's real-life jail-bait girlfriend (name escapes me) who uddered that line though.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  yohan Fri May 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Bear Police wrote:
yohan wrote:The Wire. There's too much to watch.
There can never be too much Wire! Each season is like a more or less self-contained 12-hour movie, so you can just watch season one, and by the last episode every loose end will have been tied up. But, once you watch that first season, you will be unable to stop yourself from watching every other season.

I have been thinking about taking the plunge.
yohan
yohan

http://www.kimchicinema.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Again with Netflix ... in addition to The Avengers, they have added what appears to be a large number of Dr. Who episodes. Not that I'm planning to take on the enormity of Dr. Who, but if I gave an episode a shot, well, what should I look for?

Is there a very good year? A preferable star or co-star? Even a favorite episode?
(Who knows, with what looks to be dozens of episodes on "watch instantly" they may have the good stuff in their queue.)
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum