Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LobaBlanca.comments

+4
ro karen
Marius
GAB
Jakob
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

LobaBlanca.comments - Page 4 Empty Re: LobaBlanca.comments

Post  ro karen Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:47 pm

The brilliance that is the image of you taunting full-priced DVDs with bargain bin DVDs is one of the most wonderful I've ever conjured in my head ever Very Happy
ro karen
ro karen

http://www.lobablanca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 am

I'm totally OK that I don't own 28 Days. For me, it's best moment was when Viggo shows up wearing an Oklahoma State baseball shirt -- go Cowboys!
Nothing against Sandra B., either. I think your review really nails the MEHness of this film.
My favorite of hers: While You Were Sleeping
Least favorite: probably The Lake House (dull, wasted potential), but I've clearly avoided the real dreck.

As for commentary soundtracks, which I love, I do fear that the relentless "time killing" is going to ruin what can be informative fun (... or a nerd hurdle). Who came up with the "rule" that says the special guests must blather on for the entire length of the film? It's crazy. Rolling Eyes
The laserdisc release of Andrei Rublev (passed on to the 3+ hour DVD version, too), only has commentary at certain points with recommendations on which chapter to jump to in order to pick up the commentary there. If only three scenes merit any commentary, then producers should have the wisdom to lace the commentary into those scenes ... it's not that hard to figure out!
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 am

By the way, I'm loving that series ^^^ -- it's like an inverse audition. "Put up or shut up time" for the dusty DVDs.
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am

Glad you're enjoying the latest alliterative offering at the lair, GAB Very Happy

I agree with you on the commentary track issue. While it's always nice to see one included on the DVD, I can understand why so many people view them as a hurdle. They really are a crap shoot when it comes to their value. Perfect example of a recent commentary disappointment: William Friedkin's commentary for The Exorcist. I made it to the "Regan pee" party scene before I finally gave up. It was pretty much Friedkin narrating what was happening on the screen, which would make a great track for the visually impaired. For me, however, it was boring.

Juxtapose that against the commentary track for Halloween, which I watched the same day. It was a track comprised of three different tracks done separately by John Carpenter, Debra Hill, and Jamie Lee Curtis. Then they spliced all three together, using the best offerings from each track. That was great. Same thing they did with the commentary for The Haunting. That one has bits and pieces from all the actors, Robert Wise, and Nelson Gidding (the screenwriter).

Oh, and I think my favorite Sandra Bullock movie is also While You Were Sleeping. Funny how the first movie I saw her in remains my favorite of her movies. I wonder, though, would you think less of me if I admitted that I own...The Lake House? Embarassed Laughing I know, it's a ridiculous movie. And you really can't think about the technical aspects of what they're proposing at all, because if you do, you'll go cross-eyed a la Austin Powers in The Spy Who Shagged Me. But this is one of those fluff movies that I can pop into the player and watch with glazed-over eyes and know that, even if I'm not paying any attention to the plot, I'm still getting lovely visual input. And a lot of "Woah." Laughing
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 pm

What I'd really love is to see The Lake House again, but with a commentary soundtrack by Bill and Ted ... having the excellent adventure of watching that film and not really liking it!

I've long maintained that there is real potential in the idea of having a couple of confused 10-year-old boys doing the commentary on something like The Fountain or Fellini's 8 1/2.
Or Wendy!
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Oh, I would have paid good money to have heard Keanu do a commentary on The Lake House as Ted "Theodore" Logan. Actually, I think he should do every commentary as Ted Logan. He pretty much does every acting gig that way, right? Wink

I love listening to commentaries in which the speakers are either very knowledgeable and comfortable sharing that knowledge, or are having a blast doing the commentary. Your 10-year-olds would fall into the latter category (I think Wendy would just be confused). I also contend that the guys who did The Blair Witch Project fall into that category as well. I remember that being a very fun commentary. Same with, I think, Dogma. It was one of Kevin Smith's movies...
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Can we have the unedited version of that Palinite letter you got? Please?
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Oh, okay. I've changed a couple of...terms of endearment that my secret crush used, simply because I don't like them. So I switched them out with more enjoyable Trek-related words. I ran a comparison of the IP location from my comment form with my tracking information, and I've determined that this is someone who is: a) from one of those "pockets of patriotism" that Palin loves so much; and b) someone who has been stopping at the lair off and on for a while now. Guess that won't happen anymore. I'm still confused about the random capitalization. Or the woman-bashing from someone who purportedly supports this future first female president.

Ew. That last thing I typed left me with a horrible "NO" feeling.

Sarah Palin will help bring TRUTH back to news with her CHARM and POLITICAL KNOLEDGE. Two things you have nothing of. Your blog makes me sick and I think you're a stupid [tribble]. Your problem like most liberal feminazies is the fact that you hate Sarah Palin because she’s a real REPUBLICAN woman who proves you can balance career, family and faith SUCCESSFULLY and that pisses you off. You only support a women if she’s some GOD-HATING, UGLY [TRIBBLE] like Hillary Clinton. You're probably a [Bajoran]. Like Hillary. Sarah Palin is the future of the REPUBLICAN party. She’s smart, she’s beautiful, she’s honest and she’ll be PRESIDENT one day. And all you’ll have is your stupid blog. GO TO HELL.
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:04 pm

OK, I cannot resist replying to your letter writer, who (by the way) is God incarnate ... I think you'll see what I mean in a moment.

Dear Palenite,
Shame on you! I thought you were God incarnate. After all, the scriptures you love so dearly say that only he who is without sin should "stone" people in the manner you clearly intend. Yet, here you are making mistakes, demonstrating your fallibility, calling into question the very existence of God by your imperfect/perfection.

What do I mean? The passage says "let he who is without sin throw the first stone." Not, I repeat NOT an entire excavation site's worth of stones. Stop at one, and I might entertain the idea that you are a perfect incarnation of God. Toss that second one, and I'm stuck with a dilemma.

So, which one are you? God-fearing or a heretic. Note that I didn't ask which one you are pretending to be. I see how you've dressed yourself up. Unfortunately, the stench of self-righteous heresy comes stinking through after all.

Where will LobaBlanca be when the first woman president is elected? You are right (omniscient? hmm, no, I'm going to stick with "right") to suggest that she'll be blogging about it.
Where will you be, though, dear Palenite? Celebrating? Perhaps. Dance while you can. The Bible tells us that heretics and those who ignore the two commandmants (love God, love others) will be excluded from the party goin' on upstairs. Outside. Gnashing your teeth.

On the plus side, though, I imagine you'll be hanging out with many people on this earth that you so clearly admire ... or deify.

Sincerely,
A fellow Christian, but one who never confuses my faith with the flag. Idea

P.S.: My God is bigger than your God. I listen to mine. He demands that respect. Yours fits in your pocket and you whip him out and show him off to prove that you are part of the "real America." By the way, you know the old 10 commandments? You might want to refresh your memory about what those say, too. You see ... My God doesn't like your God. Not one bit. It turns out that the real deal is totally opposed to fakes.
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Damn! ^^^ GAB knows how to flame after all ... who knew?
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:28 am

You get an imaginary Top Gun-style high five, GAB Very Happy

Really, though, I give the commenter some kudos for actually going through with sending the message, no matter how ridiculous it was. That's one of the (stupid) reasons I don't allow comments. I hate people who flame through, drop a profanity-laden ignorant bomb of a comment, and then never return. I guess this is where Louis's accusation of blogger narcissism truly come into play with me, but, dammit, that's my lair. I don't need some Internet troll coming in and shitting in it. I have control issues that way. Plus, I find that it's more genuine when someone feels so strongly about something they've read that they actually commit to that comment tab.

That being said, I still don't understand the Palin phenomenon. For a while, I just sat there wondering, "Is it me? Am I alone in seeing that this person is a mucking foron?" Even relatives of mine who I generally consider intelligent (if somewhat eccentric) were supporting her. Not only that, they were excited about her! She was the future of the Republican party. She was the real deal to combat all the political bullshit in DC. They still feel this way and have expressed great consternation with me regarding my comments about her on my blog. And, yes, they've done so through the comment tab Wink
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Oh man that's goodtimes.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah, but what's with the really poorly 'shopped elephant?
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Are you referring to Meghan's little elephant? Or my "pimp" job to Patti Stanger?

Ooh, snarky.

The only thing I really don't like about the little elephant in Meghan McCain's hands is the strip of duct tape they strung from one tusk to the other. It looks cheesy.
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Maybe a bit larger Meghan's elephant looks better.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Meh. I think it was a last minute idea that everyone thought would come across much cooler than it actually did. Points for the idea, I guess.
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:29 am

It's true. No one talks about "special effects" anymore... just "FX!" ... quite insightful. I see these movies as amusement park rides as much as anything now. Maybe I should try out those D-Box seats afterall.

Funny, everyone is talking about Neverwhere this week. Not online, I mean, but in the office and stuff. Weird. It's a book I felt like I should love but I felt "meh" about it. Too derivative. Alice in Wonderland meets Hitchhiker's Guide (all Gaiman protags are basically Arthur Dent) as envisioned by Terry Gilliam. Presto! A new Neil Gaiman novel! I think there's a BBC miniseries of this book, no?
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Hmm, I think Neverwhere has gotten more feedback than most of my other novels I've read. I wonder why it's suddenly on so many people's radar. I absolutely expected to love this book. I'm still surprised by my "mehness" toward it.

Yes, there was a BBC miniseries. I found it as an instant view option on Netflix. I plan on giving it a try as soon as I get a break in the tsunami of life that's pounding me this week. Why can't life ever be an even flow?
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Sorry to read about Data. A doppelgagner for my childhood bestfriend/pet Space Cat.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks, Jakob. He was a great cat. I hope he's somewhere hanging out with Space Cat right now. Great name, by the way.
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you. If you are at all me, many great life lessons were seemingly taught by -- certainly learned from -- our friends we call "pets." Cherish those moments; they make Data immortal.
cat
(Hey ... finally found a use for the cat-smilie!)
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 am

One more thing. Work has been having some pretty pungent spam issues that our net-nanny is not blocking. As a result, they have (probably wisely) shut down all access to home/web e-mail from the office until things get sorted out.

If I don't get online tonight, then it might be the weekend before I get a chance to tell you who thrilled I am by the designs that you sent. It was like you where whispering in my ear, saying you've got this covered and not to worry about it.
Yay Exclamation cheers
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks, Greg. I do believe that pets can teach us many a life lesson. I've learned many from my dogs and I learned many from Data. He was lovely. More importantly, he was loved. I know it's selfish because of how long a life he had and how lucky we were to have him with us for that long, but damn I'm really going to miss him.

And I'm so glad to hear that you liked the design comps! I'm sorry it took so long. Beyond being completely off-kilter this week because of Data, my clients are dragging me through hell and back on a daily basis right now. Don't they understand that I'd much rather be doing fun projects for friends?
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:39 pm

What's so special about purple???
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ro karen Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I love purple. I meant to say that in my original post. Subconsciously, I think I was seeing it there even though I forgot to write it. D'oh! I was that stereotypical pre-goth goth who wore only black and purple when I was in high school, and my love for the color has remained in a somewhat diminished capacity. Plus, purple is so very different for a lightsaber. Not evil red or heroic green or blue. Purple. Of course, I'd have to get "Bad Motherfucker" engraved on the handle if I ever did get this replica. It's the law.
ro karen
ro karen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum