Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nerd Rage!

+13
ori-STUDFARM
JonnyBoy
mediasaurusrex
Mandi
Hayden_Bloom
Ultact
kumarhk
Marius
Tony
Domino
Jakob
Roundapanda
2hot2handle
17 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Nerd Rage! - Page 4 Empty Re: Nerd Rage!

Post  Jakob Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm

You're being generous with the term "borderline" I think.
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:39 pm

Jakob wrote:Manga is another planet to me and I love graphic novels. Some are even (non-manga) Japanese!
I hate to get into semantics here, but wouldn't any comic made primarily for a Japanese audience be "manga"? I think you're using manga to describe a specific style, no? Big eyes, boys-who-look-like-girls, lots of fighting?

As far as Japanese comics go, I really dig Vertical and Drawn & Quarterly's output (mostly Tezuka and Tatsumi), and although their comics are definetely manga, they don't look it at all. Akira falls into this category, too, of non-manga manga. Adrian Tomine is a Japanese american who makes comics for an American audience, so it wouldn't qualify as manga from where I stand, but he's worth mentioning.
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:55 pm

In the foreward (or afterward) of Tatsumi's Good Bye, it seemed to imply he was part of another Japanese comics tradition separate from manga. But perhaps it was a sub-genre of manga. I didn't read it that closely. Regardless, it definitely said he created the genre he worked in (no big eyes and school girls). Tomine is my all time favourite graphic novelist. Totally worth a mention. Though I would consider him firmly an American writer with more in common with Raymond Carver than anything.
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Roundapanda wrote:
I've seen the movie of Persepolis and instantly put it up into my top 10 Razz (love it!) So I've been thinking of reading that for a while
Is it really that good? I've had it on DVD since about 2007 but I can never be bothered to stick it on. I really highly anticipated watching it until I saw the trailer, which made it look a bit childish for me, but by that time I already had the DVD. Also, It's in French, so I need to put in a lot of work to translate it accurately. Is it worth the effort?
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Hayden_Bloom wrote:
Roundapanda wrote:
I've seen the movie of Persepolis and instantly put it up into my top 10 Razz (love it!) So I've been thinking of reading that for a while
Is it really that good? I've had it on DVD since about 2007 but I can never be bothered to stick it on. I really highly anticipated watching it until I saw the trailer, which made it look a bit childish for me, but by that time I already had the DVD. Also, It's in French, so I need to put in a lot of work to translate it accurately. Is it worth the effort?

My copy is a really well done dub, but I don't know if I could be bothered translating it.
It's not so much childish as it does, for the first part or so, take a child like view on things because the protaganist is only young. Bu as she grows up the film matures with her
and she's just so funny, I acctually love he a bit Razz
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  cohnee Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:28 am

Non SI units.

In non-scientific areas of life, I don't mind pounds, stones, feet, inches, etc. Like different currencies, it makes life more colourful and interesting.

But I'm studying Mechanical Engineering, and when I have to read some paper or bit of research done using "pounds per square inch" or some other stupid form of measurement it makes my blood boil.

They make no sense. The whole point of SI units and other standardisations is that it allows the free flow of scientific ideas with out having some one translate them back and forth all the time.

And the US has seem to have a whole seperate system. For instance 1 US gallon is only 0.8 of an Imperial gallon (or in proper units, 3.79 litres).
cohnee
cohnee

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Roundapanda wrote:
Hayden_Bloom wrote:
Roundapanda wrote:

My copy is a really well done dub, but I don't know if I could be bothered translating it.
It's not so much childish as it does, for the first part or so, take a child like view on things because the protaganist is only young. Bu as she grows up the film matures with her
I'll get round to it, maybe just before my French listening exam it might be worth a go.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 am

Hayden_Bloom wrote:
Roundapanda wrote:
Hayden_Bloom wrote:
Roundapanda wrote:

I'll get round to it, maybe just before my French listening exam it might be worth a go.
Persepolis is a pretty good film, a solid 8/10, but I prefer the book. Both are worth getting, though.

I was fortunate enough to catch it at the cinema (in French with subtitles). I've seen a bit of the dubbed version, but it wasn't doing it for me. bounce
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 am

cohnee wrote:Non SI units.

In non-scientific areas of life, I don't mind pounds, stones, feet, inches, etc. Like different currencies, it makes life more colourful and interesting.

But I'm studying Mechanical Engineering, and when I have to read some paper or bit of research done using "pounds per square inch" or some other stupid form of measurement it makes my blood boil.

They make no sense. The whole point of SI units and other standardisations is that it allows the free flow of scientific ideas with out having some one translate them back and forth all the time.

And the US has seem to have a whole seperate system. For instance 1 US gallon is only 0.8 of an Imperial gallon (or in proper units, 3.79 litres).
Couldn't have put it better myself Very Happy

I can't count the number of times I've fucked up questions in physics because I forgot to convert mph to m/s or something like that.
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:09 pm

My own posts are giving me nerd rage
I can barely go one post without using the Razz face
and if it's not the Razz face it's...
and if it's not... it's
doing new lines
far
too
much
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:11 pm

kumarhk wrote:
cohnee wrote:Non SI units.

Couldn't have put it better myself Very Happy

I can't count the number of times I've fucked up questions in physics because I forgot to convert mph to m/s or something like that.
What's the big deal? It's not like this could destroy a Mars probe or anything.

Oh, um, never mind.

alien
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4