Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nerd Hurdles #30 - Previously on…

+5
GAB
kumarhk
Marius
Mandi
Bear Police
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nerd Hurdles #30 - Previously on… - Page 2 Empty Re: Nerd Hurdles #30 - Previously on…

Post  Jakob Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:10 pm

An interesting blog post by Aussie singer Darren Hayes on the trickle-down effects.
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Nerd Hurdles #30 - Previously on… - Page 2 Empty Re: Nerd Hurdles #30 - Previously on…

Post  GAB Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Darren Hayes speaks well and makes all the necessary points. I hope he's wrong, but the evidence is pretty clear. I'm dubious of proposed solutions, though. Would an I.S.P. always accurately recognize the difference between podcasts, or free songs, and those that should be for sale?

Here's my dilemma, and if it sounds like I'm ticked off ... I am.
Jim Carroll died this week, and it occurred to me that I didn't have "People Who Died" by The Jim Carroll Band on my MP3 player. I went to my gigantic multinational music-marketplace, where I buy everything else, to very-happily pay for and download the track. It's not there.

OK, I have the cassette tape I bought decades ago in the basement, and it has the song. So, am I doing something horrible if I make an MP3 file out of the (sound quality deficient but nevertheless authentic) version of the song on that tape? I already bought it, and please note that my first plan was to go online and BUY IT AGAIN! Further note that the only reason I can't is that the same people who complain about losing profits to downloading are unwilling to make those same profits by selling to me.

Would I only be doing something wrong if I sold copies of the track (clearly) or gave a copy of the file away (not so clear there, I'd argue)?
Call me pollyanna here, but I don't think it's logically possible to shoplift something that isn't on the shelf.

I don't have a solution to this dilemma in mind. I really don't have a clue. For now, I'll have to borrow my daughter's car some day and rock down memory lane that way (bless her heart, she still has the working cassette player on wheels).
I won't go to a file-sharing site and illegally download the song. If a guy at work wants to borrow my cassette, though, why wouldn't I let him listen to it? It's not like he can pay for a non-DRM MP3 right now. No
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:52 pm

I can set you up with that track if you need it. Wink I've been rocking out to it myself this past few weeks. It was actually kind of creepy and I wondered if I'd caused his death. The song is compiled on a few different 80's comps. I got it off Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough series. Which you could easily find at a used CD store. If you can find one.

I don't neccessarily agree with the measures proposed by Mr. Hayes (and in the UK by some guy people are bashing on Twitter). The damage is done, the war is over. The pirates won. Fighting it at this point is like the war on drugs. Pointless. Music producers just have to suck it up and accept it's another dying industry like logging, fisheries, auto-makers, iron-workers, print, radio and, eventually, oil.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:05 pm

The real future is in water.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2