Topic Suggestions

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Topic Suggestions

Post  Jakob on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 am

Domino wrote:
Mandi wrote:Your use of a bouncing smilie tells me that you have cleared your forum hurdle with ease and grace.

It was closest "hurdling" smiley face I could find. There's GOT to be a hurdling smiley face though don't you think?

I wonder if I'm able to add custom smilies in the admin panel... good idea!
Jakob

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 pm

We need a chatroom associated with this forum! I'm online right now with Jakob and Mandi, thinking, "Man, it'd be cool to chat with those two!"
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kerokapala on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 am

Here's a topic suggestion: Conspiracy Theories.

I was reading some old news, and one bit was Blackwater's rechristening as "Xe." Among the comments that followed, the classic "BLACKWATER IS A FREEMASON PLOT" cropped up, driving me to close the window immediately.

Hell, there's a second one: commenting.
Kerokapala

View user profile http://elephantvanishes.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:52 am

Conspiracy theories. GOOD ONE! I share that. Not that I don't think the Masons don't own LastFM thus resulting in the Photobucket fiasco of this morning.

By "commenting" do you mean on forum threads? Or on blogs and things like YouTube?

Jumpsuit Tony: Chat rooms are another one for me. Mostly because I can't keep up. I doubt there'll be a chatroom on here. Unless everyone wants one.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  2hot2handle on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 pm

I don't really class commenting (and i'm going to be specificaly talking about Youtube here) as a Nerd Hurdle just as a idiots who got thier hands on a computer hurdle. And i do believe that this video illustrates my point quitwe well: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771556
2hot2handle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 pm

The spelling and grammar mistakes in comments are a hurdle for me. No
Domino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Are there any foods that need to be hurdled? I know its not really nerdy, but all the shows seem to be related to technology in some way, so It might be nice to do something completely different. Some people find it hard to get into Indian and Chinese food. Not being an expert on food myself I canne really guide you on a specific dish you should hurdle, but, you know, I'm brainstorming here.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Actually, i think Jolt or any such beverage is too big a nerd hurdle for me. There was an episode of CSI where some "gaming nerd" died from staying awake too long and drinking nothing but Jolt.

Plus, that shit is gross. Poison.
Domino

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm

I would say that Sushi is a nerd hurdle. Or Nouvelle Cuisine...although that was very 80's, not really around today. Novelty cakes like the ones Jacob and Mandi make, maybe!!? How about food you eat because of nerdy influences. As a kid I ate tonnes of bananna's because of Bananna Man!

Also, I can't remember whether it was StarBase or Nerd Hurdles, Star Trek drinks! http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2541/TrekDrinks.html
ori-STUDFARM

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  2hot2handle on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:15 pm

This morning i decided to have some tea, earl grey, hot. I never would have if it hadn't been for good old Jean Luc. Could this be a hurdle in itself doing stuff to emulate are nerd heroes? Like learning to play the trombone because Will Riker does.
2hot2handle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:53 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:I would say that Sushi is a nerd hurdle. Or Nouvelle Cuisine...although that was very 80's, not really around today. Novelty cakes like the ones Jacob and Mandi make, maybe!!? How about food you eat because of nerdy influences. As a kid I ate tonnes of bananna's because of Bananna Man!

Also, I can't remember whether it was StarBase or Nerd Hurdles, Star Trek drinks! http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2541/TrekDrinks.html
I was about to disclaim any mention of Star Trek drinks on our show, then I remembered talking about my alcoholic friend who came up with some pretty potent Romulan Ale.
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 am

With all the talk about how disappointing this finale was, or that last book sucked, perhaps a show about the unreasonable expectations that fans put on their favorite media in regard to the finishing of a series.
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:10 pm

I think fans expectations and demands is a good one!! I keep hearing Red Dwarf fans tell me how crap series VII and VIII are, when it's actually not as bad as all that! Series VII is just missing the laugh track...well if YOU don't know when to laugh!! and series VIII is admitedly a stupid initial concept, but once you get by that, is funny! And the BtE specials got unfare slatings, it wasn't that bad, it was poorly split into 3. That was all!

It doesn't matter how good this new Star Trek movie is, I know already that there will be lots of negativity from fans. Fans who KNOW it will not meet their expectations, yet will insist on going to see it, just so they CAN slate it!

Fans that view with an open mind FTW!!
ori-STUDFARM

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Academic Nerdery could be several episodes

Learning stuff about History seems to be a nerd hurdle for a lot of people (a lot of sucky people. Yay History!)

Most people won't read Classic literature (I'm not just talking about Harry Potter) for instance, I was the only person in my class who acctually read Great Expectations when we were assigned an essay on it Shocked

People won't visit museums or art gallery's

There's a plethera of Academic nerd hurldes!
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:26 pm

History is somewhat a hurdle for me. No so for Mandi. Who lives her history love. But myself, I find it hard to keep my attention on history. Especially Canadian history.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Jakob wrote:History is somewhat a hurdle for me. No so for Mandi. Who lives her history love. But myself, I find it hard to keep my attention on history. Especially Canadian history.

I know very little of Canadian history, what happens? I know we the english, decide it's ours for a while... but not much after that

but I've always found english history fascinating.
European history on the whole is most interesting. In my history class at them moment we're doing a unit on the period of time between WWI and WWII. Poverty, political unrest, Treaty of Versailles, League of Nations, Hitler's rise to power. AWESOME Very Happy
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 pm

I dig European history right up until about the 1800s. American history, however, Sleep
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:37 am

Roundapanda wrote:

Most people won't read Classic literature (I'm not just talking about Harry Potter) for instance, I was the only person in my class who acctually read Great Expectations when we were assigned an essay on it Shocked

!
I can empathise with that. Dickens is a fucking hard read at the best of times. I tried my best to plough through Great Expectations but I just found it too intense. I guess if I had to do an essay on it I would have made a bigger effort, but I may have just watched the David Lean film, which is far better than Dickens could ever be. (I am aware that I sound like an utter heathen here, don't kill me)
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:58 am

Hayden_Bloom wrote:
Roundapanda wrote:

!
I can empathise with that. Dickens is a fucking hard read at the best of times. I tried my best to plough through Great Expectations but I just found it too intense. I guess if I had to do an essay on it I would have made a bigger effort, but I may have just watched the David Lean film, which is far better than Dickens could ever be. (I am aware that I sound like an utter heathen here, don't kill me)

We did just watch the David Lean film Rolling Eyes
I do agree in that it is a very hard read, I did feel, at times, like I was banging my head against a brick wall. Most of the humour is lost in tranlation, but most of Dickens's literary technique still stands... I'm almost tempted to put up an extract of my essay to explain that...
As for you saying the film is better than Dcikens could ever be... *BEATS WITH POINTY STICK*
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 am

I got as far as "You can call me Pip" and I was out. I read it years later though. I think. I can't remember.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:30 am

Miss Havisham is like a cat lady without cats. This is awesome.

Also, anyone who doesn't like North American history hasn't given THE FUR TRADE a fair chance. Dammit, I wish there was a voyageur smilie.
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:40 pm

FanArt could deffinately be an episode
Their are lot's of fanficcy things that freak me out
But the art... can't acctually look at it without cringing hideously badly
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:42 am

Domino wrote:The spelling and grammar mistakes in comments are a hurdle for me. No

Same here. I'm no expert when it comes to the English language myself. Some of what I see typed into the internet for people the world over amazes me though. Why would people want to give the world the impression that they're illiterate?
Mekka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yohan on Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Political nerds.

Paranormal nerds.

Fake/Wannabe nerds.

Nerdy things that have become cool.

TED/BookTV/AtGoogleTalks/etc.

Horror nerds.

Nerd comedians.