I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Wed May 27, 2009 3:45 pm

I've decided that I'm devoting too much time to podcasts and need to broaden my audio horizons into fresh nerd-oceans. I have decided to trim about 2 or 3 hours a day from podcasts (don't worry everyone. That can easily be done by removing BBC and commercial radio podcasts. And any that appear in the top 100 comedy charts. They're not actually that funny and I'm fast losing interest in mainstream podcasts!!)

I plan to fill this free audio time with a bit of music.(Just lately, I've been adding loads of albums to my ipod that are going unheard!!)

I also plan to invest my time in some audiobooks. I now only read books when I'm holidaying on the beach or by the pool. Everytime I try to read at home, I nod off after a couple of pages. I've restarted Gardens Of The Moon 4 times now!! And I really do miss my books....

Any other suggestions of what I can listen to instead of the more mainstream podcasts? What fresh audio Nerdery delights can I discover out there?
avatar
ori-STUDFARM

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 43
Location : Nottingham. UK

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  Tony on Wed May 27, 2009 4:07 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:Any other suggestions of what I can listen to instead of the more mainstream podcasts? What fresh audio Nerdery delights can I discover out there?

http://www.dancarlin.com
He has two podcasts, one is his outstanding "Hardcore History". His other is a topical cultural/political show called "Common Sense", which is very good.

Er, this is totally self-serving, but I do a weekly indie music podcast, featuring 12 songs: http://www.pcowpodcast.com

Simply Syndicated has a lot of great shows. http://www.simplysyndicated.com/

I really dig Kennedy's "Weather Station 3": http://weathereye.libsyn.com/

Dropping the BBC? Oh well, I suppose that's local for you, huh? I really like the "Friday Night Comedy Podcast", which has either the Now Show or the "News Quiz". And "In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg" is quite good too, I think, although I wish he had the time to let the Professors ramble on; I find it somewhat comical when he stomps on them and trys to stear the show in a different direction.
avatar
Tony

Posts : 273
Join date : 2009-04-16
Age : 49
Location : Rochester, Minnesota

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Wed May 27, 2009 4:20 pm

I've set the torrent going on a mass of Star Wars, Hitchikers Guide and a whole host of other sci-fi.

Along with all the Buffy between the lines, the Doctor Who Audio Drama podcasts and a whole host of Scot Siglers Podbooks already waiting on my device.

Will check out your stuff Tony. Simply Syn was one of the first I discovered and won't be dropped. and already subscribe to Kennedy's....though listening to his latest episode, I hope that, if he moves from LibSyn, I get to hear about it. I missed his move to Lib Syn last time!!

As for the Now Show and the News Quiz, I've just cancelled them. I'll resubscribe if I find this doesn't work and I start to run low on audio delights again.

Think I just need a change. I seem to only be interested of late in podcasts done by people I know from the forums or Twitter.
avatar
ori-STUDFARM

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 43
Location : Nottingham. UK

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  Mekka on Thu May 28, 2009 6:23 am

The Bugle probably comes in top100 charts but it's the funniest podcast I listen to.

Answer Me This is also fun.

Tachyon TV is an absolutely hilarious look at Who. They have the odd podcast and tons of commentaries.

I think you already listen to Cadmium2 but that's one of my favourites.

British Invaders follows a similar line to Cadmium2 and I always enjoy it. Both British Invaders and Cadmium2 have brought me back to long forgotten favourites and introduced me to new cult/sci-fi British stuff.
avatar
Mekka

Posts : 79
Join date : 2009-04-21
Location : Manchester, UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  Marius on Thu May 28, 2009 9:21 am

ori-STUDFARM wrote:
I also plan to invest my time in some audiobooks. I now only read books when I'm holidaying on the beach or by the pool. Everytime I try to read at home, I nod off after a couple of pages. I've restarted Gardens Of The Moon 4 times now!! And I really do miss my books....
I am so glad to hear you say that.(does that idiom really work in a forum? oh well) That's the main reason I don't read much anymore. I get maybe half a page read and then wake up an hour later. It's really pissing me off.
avatar
Marius

Posts : 166
Join date : 2009-04-20
Age : 53
Location : Florida, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Thu May 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Mekka wrote:The Bugle probably comes in top100 charts but it's the funniest podcast I listen to.

Answer Me This is also fun.

Tachyon TV is an absolutely hilarious look at Who. They have the odd podcast and tons of commentaries.

I think you already listen to Cadmium2 but that's one of my favourites.

British Invaders follows a similar line to Cadmium2 and I always enjoy it. Both British Invaders and Cadmium2 have brought me back to long forgotten favourites and introduced me to new cult/sci-fi British stuff.

Answer Me This has just been dropped, sorry. Kept both Cadmium2 and British Invaders.

Marius wrote:I am so glad to hear you say that.(does that idiom really work in a forum? oh well) That's the main reason I don't read much anymore. I get maybe half a page read and then wake up an hour later. It's really pissing me off.

Let me know if you find a cure that doesn't involve amphetemines!!
avatar
ori-STUDFARM

Posts : 212
Join date : 2009-04-21
Age : 43
Location : Nottingham. UK

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm Trimming My Podcast Subscriptions!!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum