VIDEO GAME HURDLES

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VIDEO GAME HURDLES

Post  mediasaurusrex on Mon May 18, 2009 12:14 am

I have been struggling with this concept and maybe you people can help me. I have been playing video games since SPACE INVADERS but there are a lot of games that people gush over that I can't hurdle for some reason. Mostly, it has to do with all of the back story and previous incarnations that scare me off. But I am a pretty serious gamer. I WILL buy a PS3 when God of War 3 drops, and I mean this. I play Tekken and Soul Calibur whenever I can find someone up to the challenge. I tore a swath through the BURNOUT series and know how to detonate a vehicle when I have to. The list of games that I have played till boredom or mastery is staggering. But then there is a sub-list that I can't seem to step to. I know you people out there are playing some video games, because that is how nerds roll. This is a thread dedicated to the unhurdleable games out there and hopefully, there will be some positive discussion on how to make the leap and not feel so damn self-conscious.

Straight up?

FINAL FANTASY.

This is something that I should jump into headlong. Can't do it. I am not undaunted by the herculean task of learning all of those graphs, weapons and sh*t.

METAL GEAR SOLID.

I should be deep in there too. CAN'T DO IT. I can't see how I will ever discipline myself to play any of the series. I think I don't struggle unrealistically with these because there is so much in their syllabus. This whole series looks like WORK.

HALO.

First person shooter? Every kid on the block has been playing this game nonstop since the Xbox showed up. It isn't anything "new" at all. The concept isn't "new." There have been first person shooters for as long as there have been video games. However, it is a hurdle for me, because there is a physics engine in HALO that is different. Also, every kid on the block has been playing it since the Xbox dropped, and that leaves me wayyyyy behind. They know all of the terrain and all of the glitches. I am not more than seriously unimpressed with this franchise. How am I supposed to step into this fracas and not get my rump handed to me every time I socialize with people who have an Xbox? I just say no.

RESIDENT EVIL.

Love the concept. Love the movies to death even though they suck some of the foulest balls on the market. But get me into that series? NO HAPPENING. I don't feel a little unsteady with the idea of getting into this series and investing so much time. Believe me, i have tried. I have the original 3 Resident Evils within 10 paces of me right now. I can't get to them though.

MARVEL: VS CAPCOM

I play fighting games. I play them hard. I have combos in my head that I can telegraph through my fingers that will make you wonder what I sacrificed in life in order to pull them off. I am very disciplined in regards to the Street Fighter, the Tekken, the Virtua Fighter, and the Soul Calibur. I will even throw down on that Def Jam stuff and some of those wack wrestling games we aren't supposed to admit that we play. But for some reason I CANNOT crack Marvel vs Capcom. I have the game. I fire it up and play it every so often. I don't get the combos. I don't get the tag system. I don't get damn near any of it whatsoever. But as a fighting game player, I am supposed to be all over this one. I am not, and have not been ever. Can't do it. I don't know what makes this 2d fighter the holy grail of fighting games. I just don't get it.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT.
This is a simple hurdle. I could do it, but I am afraid that i will be like any other WARCRACK addict I know. I don't hurdle this one because of the absolute FEAR that i will never come back. By far, this game has me completely in a position of absolute dread.

Anyone else struggle hurdling the odd video game?
mediasaurusrex

View user profile http://mediasaurs.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: VIDEO GAME HURDLES

Post  kumarhk on Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 am

I don't play video games. It's far too much of a hurdle for me. The only video game I've played in recent times is the excellent Defend Your Castle. Look it up Wink
kumarhk

View user profile http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka on Mon May 18, 2009 5:45 am

Video games are a hurdle for me also.

The only game I have ever played before this year is Tetris.

The Wii slightly overcomes this. I like the fact you can 'play tennis' and that kind of thing. I've had mine for a year now. Mainly because I was tempted by the Wii Fit. Which is nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. I was bought 'usual' type games for it. I can't figure out the controls though and don't care enough to try harder. The only game I purchased for myself was a skiing game. Which I have yet to master despite the fact that I can ski. I see the Wii as good for people like me. Yet it's main funtion in our house is dust gathering. It gets used about once every 2 months.
Mekka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Mon May 18, 2009 10:17 am

Good luck to y'all with this discussion. I have no real hurdles regarding video games. The only hurdle for me is I seriously SUCK at playing them, so I just don't bother! alien
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy on Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I'm really into my video games and the only ones that are real hurdles for me, are ones that have a HUGE back story.

I've played demos of stuff like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil and I like them, its just I usually shy away from shelling out the dinero to buy a game that I'll be thinking "WTF?!" half the time I play it.

Classic example. I gave into the MGS hype and got MGS3: Snake Eater and that turned out fine cos it was a standalone prequel that worked as a self contained thing. But I got MGS4 and I literally did not know what the story was for half the game. I got the most recent Brother's in Arms cos it fell to 15 quid so thought why not, but then I was exactly the same for some parts cos it is a series of games that generally requires you to have played the other games to fully understand the story.

I also dislike horror games in general, but that's just cos I'm easily scared and jump every time any little thing goes boo. I suppose that hurdle requires me to grow some balls.
JonnyBoy

View user profile http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 am

I never had a video games hurdle until Age Of Empires II, GTA Vice City and Far Cry ate such massive black holes in my time I was through the looking glass. That's a terribly mixed metaphor and I don't really know what through the looking glass means, but you get my drift.

Eventually, as the GTA San Andreas release date approached, I backed away from the car with my hands up and built my own hurdle, and have successfully stayed on the non-gaming side of it ever since. I don't know if I'm a better man for it, but I do know I don't regret it one bit. Well ... maybe one bit.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex on Tue May 19, 2009 2:32 pm

GLad you mentioned San Andreas.

I played Vice City to 99.9% I lost out on the 100% because of the cheats I enabled, which were a lot of fun.

So when San Andreas dropped, I was hyped. I picked it up. But then I realized HOW MUCH they packed into that thing. Stunt jumps are minor. EVERYTHING needs to be accomplished. You have to hit the irons and stay swollen. You have to eat. You have to get your gun/biking skills up. You have to learn how to read that map. You have to find where the spray and wash is in every last neighborhood. It was HECTIC. Oh, and then you have to shmooze your 5 girlfriends to get right outside of the Hot Coffee mod? I was apoplectic. I played it for about 3 days and parked it.

It stared at me for about 3 years.

I fired it up again last summer and nailed down the first tier of missions. Once again, I am totally overwhelmed.

I don't know if I will ever fire it up again. There is just too much going on.
mediasaurusrex

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Tue May 19, 2009 6:12 pm

Problem with San Andreas was the Radio control planes mission. I failed and failed and failed..........

It's basically become an immovable obstacle preventing me from going any further. I might have a crack every 6 months or so, but, being out of practice, I stand no chance!! And I know a LOT of people that found the same thing. It was the start of me buying games and not finishing them. In fact, it is possibly responsible for me giving up any gaming. I begrudge buying games and not completeing them, so I stopped buying anymore.
ori-STUDFARM

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Tue May 19, 2009 6:20 pm

It took me years to finish Vice City. Mostly because the first time around I wasn't very dedicated. It's the prefect game for switching on, wasting some heads and shutting off. Then I packed it away for a year or 18 months and started up for serious and blasted through the missions like a man on a... er... mission. I was glad that my machine at the time was too old to run San Andreas. Now that I could run it, I fear seeing it in a 9.99 bin and having to pick it up. But reading Peter's comments might help me stay clear of that black hole.
Jakob

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Tue May 19, 2009 9:24 pm

mediasaurusrex wrote:... You have to hit the irons and stay swollen. You have to eat. You have to get your gun/biking skills up. You have to learn how to read that map. You have to find where the spray and wash is in every last neighborhood. It was HECTIC. Oh, and then you have to shmooze your 5 girlfriends to get right outside of the Hot Coffee mod? ...

There is just too much going on.

Hearing about a lot of that stuff in reviews and from mates gave me good ammo to fight my urge to get into it. Reading maps and finding stuff like Spray N Wash buildings or weapons is fun to me because it's fun to hunt, but virtual working out? Virtual shmoozing girlfriends?!? How is it escapism if I have to pump iron and keep my girl happy using fucking game controllers Rockstar?!?!?

I'm not a hardcore completionist kind of player so I'm usually happy to leave things undone if they're boring as long as I can finish the part of the game that matters to me, that being the missions that drive the story. But even though it seems like it had my favourite soundtrack of all the GTA series so far, there is just too much stupid stuff in San Andreas that they should never have thought was going to be fun in a video game. And more importantly, I don't need to get addicted to any kind of gamecrack again.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed May 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Regarding the original post. WoW is, at some point, going to be an episode. That is if we can get "I'm ungooglable" Mai in front of a microphone to explain it to us. I don't even get how those games work. It's a world of mystery to me since I've never even seen a screen shot. I know headsets are involved and that scares the shit out of me. Also I'd like to get Nae (from the Waltz With Bashir P-Reviews) involved since he's a bigtime PC gamer but loathes WoW with a passion I don't quite understand and makes me a little uncomfortable.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex on Wed May 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I have a 17 year old son who is deep into the WOW. I have a comprehension of it, but it doesn't appeal.

In short, PC gaming in general doesn't appeal. A big part of it all is the keyboard.

I am willing to MAME my way though the arcade classics on my PC, but that is a relatively simple 4 direction and fire/jump button for the most part. I would never attempt something as prophetic and brutal as ROBOTRON 2984 on a keyboard. Defender and Stargate need to be handled elsewhere too. Old school Donkey Kong and Star Castle work just fine though.

For the most part I need that tactile joystick/controller/trackball/guncon stimuli when I play a video game. The arrow keys and a bunch of F keys don't do it for me. Of course, people say that it takes some getting used to. They also say that when you get into the keyboard, you feel limited going back to the Playstation controller.

I say poppycock.

The keyboard as a means of controlling a person/car/barbarian/spawning spore is beyond me.

PC Games are a hurdle for me in general.
mediasaurusrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed May 20, 2009 3:06 pm

I've never played a game on a PC using a keyboard. I have a set of USB controllers. Doesn't everyone?
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  JayMasterOfNone on Wed May 20, 2009 3:50 pm

I can never get into talking to strangers while you play them online (as mentioned in one of our shows with a Nerd Hurdle shout out). What a weird, uncomfortable kind of competitive party line thing to do.

Also, while I love games, (see: Pac-man tattoo) as I get older I have less and less time for them. But on a rare weekend while I'm home alone, I'll get back into a game and then get stuck on a spot, can't get past it, then it's another year or two before I'll pick it up again. I am glad to say though my wife & I will do some Rock Band now and again and my daughter is a verse from finishing The Clash on drums for her first song. I do look forward to gaming with her as she gets bigger.

And Mekka, I'd be glad to take that barely used Wii off your hands, my daughter loves it, she beat me in bowling at our friends house on vacation last month. Make me an offer I can't refuse...

Jay
JayMasterOfNone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed May 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Oh yeah. Rockband. A hurdle I refuse to even even approach much less accept people are hurdling it like rats jumping off the sinking ship of our civilization. I make this pledge now. I will never be seen holding one of those toy guitars.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Wed May 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Jakob wrote:Oh yeah. Rockband. A hurdle I refuse to even even approach much less accept people are hurdling it like rats jumping off the sinking ship of our civilization. I make this pledge now. I will never be seen holding one of those toy guitars.

I just saw four of them today at the local pawn shop. One was covered in My Little Pony stickers. Sweet....
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex on Wed May 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Jakob wrote:I've never played a game on a PC using a keyboard. I have a set of USB controllers. Doesn't everyone?

No, I don't.

As you have pledged to keep your hands off of a Rock Band guitar, I made a similar pledge to keep my hands off of USB joysticks/controllers.

If you are a latent gamer, I strongly suggest the PSP. That has changed my gaming habits. They are everywhere now. I bring that thing along just hoping for a delay these days. 2 weeks ago I had jury duty, and it was a godsend.
mediasaurusrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed May 20, 2009 6:53 pm

I see guys walking around in the park playing them. Playing while they're walking. In the park. Makes me not want to own one.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Wed May 20, 2009 7:18 pm

mediasaurusrex wrote:For the most part I need that tactile joystick/controller/trackball/guncon stimuli when I play a video game. The arrow keys and a bunch of F keys don't do it for me. Of course, people say that it takes some getting used to. They also say that when you get into the keyboard, you feel limited going back to the Playstation controller.

I say poppycock.

The keyboard as a means of controlling a person/car/barbarian/spawning spore is beyond me.

PC Games are a hurdle for me in general.

If you're talking keyboard only then yeah, the game controllers will be much better to use. But no PC gamer does that for any game that's even slightly complex or requires analogue type motion. I haven't heard of any game controller yet (not even Wii nunchuks) that can match the enjoyment, fluidity and "realism" of gameplay using mouse + keys.

I tried playing Vice City on PS2 and found the auto-aiming felt to me like cheating because I was used to having to place the gunsights myself. To be honest I've never played Halo or any of the console shooters but I can't even imagine enjoying playing with auto-aim on more than doing the aiming myself. For me that's a video game hurdle I'd never thought of.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JayMasterOfNone on Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Jakob, you shun Rockband only because you're a real musician. What about the 90% of the world who have no musical abilities whatsoever? It's the closest thing they'll ever have. Not to mention it gets kids into some decent tunes and encourages some to actually pick up real instruments which is actually a good thing. I don't even see how it's really a nerd hurdle, it's about the most popular & mainstream video game out there.
JayMasterOfNone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex on Thu May 21, 2009 12:21 am

I struggle with the mouse for video games on the computer. I have struggled since DOOM. I have tried and tired to get it together and I can't. DOOM was a chore. QHAKE was a chore. And most recently TEAM FORTRESS. I can do it, but I would much rather use the analog sticks on a Playstation controller.

Gunfire in these games generally sucks.

Exploits that others know makes online play all the worse. It is a serious hurdle for me to just play online. Then it is a hurdle for me not to whip out my credit card, fly to Montana and beat the piss out of an 11 year old using hacks.

The TIME CRISIS series on the PS1 and 2 has been my fix for proper gunfire. I own them all. And when God of War 3 drops and I finally buy a PS3, it will be time for Time Crisis 4. Point a gun at your tv, pull the trigger and watch people do backflips? PARAMOUNT.

I picked up the HOUSE OF THE DEAD package for the Wii but found it completely wanting. The Wiimote is the lamest gun on the market period, and I put that on DUCK HUNT.

Vice City's aiming system was the worst. I think that people across the board agree. But hey, it had its moments. For example: taking out a million dollar plus target from Brown Thunder was one of my more satisfying accomplishments in the game. Vice City was the zenith. I am afraid to play the new one with the Serbs and Croats taking over New York or whatever it is.
mediasaurusrex

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Here is another one.

I am not going to play KNIGHT OF THE REPUBLIC even though I have a Star Wars chip in my brain.

But I am telling you nerds, this is the hardest SW video game trailer I have ever seen PERIOD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjJaAA5A7w
mediasaurusrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:06 pm

That, right there folks, was what I wanted from the prequel trilogy.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:33 am

Does this mean you're going to play Knight of the Republic?
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:25 am

Probably not. I would have to see some actual gameplay shots anyway. SW games are usually crappy first person shooter types. I played dark forces back in the day. It made me motion-sick most of the time. Still, I'd watch that trailer again before I do Revenge of the Sith.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top