Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's Your Hurdle?

+23
yohan
cohnee
Bear Police
Ultact
ToxicDeath
JonnyBoy
Tony
charenton_
Hayden_Bloom
cartbozman
Kerokapala
Domino
2hot2handle
ori-STUDFARM
Roundapanda
Mandi
Marius
Mekka
Sissillie
kumarhk
mediasaurusrex
weathereye
Jakob
27 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What's Your Hurdle? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's Your Hurdle?

Post  Marius Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:48 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:but I'm not as emotionally invested in Star Trek as you are.
Few people are, my friend. It is my gift...and my curse.(walks slowly off into the sunset as a lone tin whistle plays a mournful tune)
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:18 am

Eliza, what is that a picture of? I thought it was Inego Montoya from The Princess Bride, but now I'm uncertain.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 am

Hayden_Bloom wrote:Eliza, what is that a picture of? I thought it was Inego Montoya from The Princess Bride, but now I'm uncertain.

Tis a small tubby man dressed as a Klingon
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  2hot2handle Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 am

Marius wrote:
ori-STUDFARM wrote:but I'm not as emotionally invested in Star Trek as you are.
Few people are, my friend. It is my gift...and my curse.(walks slowly off into the sunset as a lone tin whistle plays a mournful tune)

Is this what you had in mind:

(yeah i know theres a piano in there but it's the best i could do)
2hot2handle
2hot2handle

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Musically speaking, it's Rush. I know I'm supposed to like them, being an intelligent geeky Canadian who grew up in the 70s and all that. But I can't stand the music. Maybe it's because every Rush fan I knew growing up was an introverted nerd with zero social skills but also a bad drug habit -- a strange combination. One of them legally changed his name to Alex Lifeson in college. I am not making that up. When I told him that wasn't even Alex Lifeson's real name, he went on a bender and crashed his car in despair.

I met cooler Rush fans later in life, but by then Rush was getting played on top 40 radio and I thought it was pretty much over.

Every few years, I hear Subdivisions or whatever on the radio, and I think "Maybe there's something to these guys." I listen, and then put on something else. Just not for me.
weathereye
weathereye

http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09 pm

weathereye wrote:Musically speaking, it's Rush.....Every few years, I hear Subdivisions or whatever on the radio, and I think "Maybe there's something to these guys." I listen, and then put on something else. Just not for me.

Why is it so many big music fans I know have a hurdle for Rush? I've heard them called "too mathmatical", amongst other things. I LOVE RUSH! Of course, being 8 years old and having my 17 year old brother play "2112" over and over, and then I'd sneak into his room and play it over and over, really had an effect on me. One of the first songs I ever tried to figure out how to play on guitar was Side A of 2112, haha! Shocked Talk about taking a big bite...I still remember some of it. Dunno, I think what I mainly take from Rush now is they remind me of an innocent time in my life, and that's a good thing to be reminded of. I'll always be a fan. Which, btw Kennedy, seems to make me a rarity amongst Church fans, and the two bands seem incompatible, at least to many I've talked to. Whatever Alex's name is, he sure can play the guitar...and he got some sweet tones, as well.
Tony
Tony

http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm

All of prog rock is a hurdle for me, although I admit to having been kind of into Rush when I was about 11. I imagine, though, if I ever had kids, they would have the same disgusted look on their faces if I played them Animal Collective as I get when I hear bands like Genesis.
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Whoa! Now hang on a minute, sonny. You can't lump King Crimson in with Rush and Genesis! Not that you did, directly. But there's more to prog than the big names. To which I'd have to agree with you on many counts. Crimson, at times, has some things in common with Animal Collective.
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Oh I totally forgot about King Crimson. In the Court of the Crimson King is fantastic.
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 am

weathereye wrote:Musically speaking, it's Rush. I know I'm supposed to like them, being an intelligent geeky Canadian who grew up in the 70s and all that. But I can't stand the music. Maybe it's because every Rush fan I knew growing up was an introverted nerd with zero social skills but also a bad drug habit -- a strange combination. One of them legally changed his name to Alex Lifeson in college. I am not making that up. When I told him that wasn't even Alex Lifeson's real name, he went on a bender and crashed his car in despair.

I met cooler Rush fans later in life, but by then Rush was getting played on top 40 radio and I thought it was pretty much over.

Every few years, I hear Subdivisions or whatever on the radio, and I think "Maybe there's something to these guys." I listen, and then put on something else. Just not for me.

I count myself a Rush fan, but I pretty much tuned out after Fly By Night. 2112 and Moving Pictures are two of the best albums ever, imo.
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:32 am

I guess my point was trifold:
  • Music is a personal thing, something developed over years of listening.
    We associate the music we like with moments we want to remember.
    I associate Rush with the guy we used to "forget to pick up" on the way to the house party.

... but that's just me.
weathereye
weathereye

http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:05 am

weathereye wrote:I guess my point was trifold:
  • Music is a personal thing, something developed over years of listening.
    We associate the music we like with moments we want to remember.
    I associate Rush with the guy we used to "forget to pick up" on the way to the house party.

... but that's just me.

Indeed, indeed....I agree. I once tried to get Jakob to do a NH show on band roadies. But as he and I talked about it, I realized my hurdle was with the local "hair metal" scene in town. I had grown up on bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, even Rush, but when Poison and the like came along, I just didn't get it. More to the point, I thought it was silly, misogynistic, and gross. Several of the people I grew up with turned into hair metal wannabees. And one sort of decent local band grew out of it (they were talented guys temporarily taking a stray path). But the whole scene around it, the people who wanted to party with this band, the guys who tried to look like and play guitar like these "local gods", it all just turned me off big time. Of course, by this time, I was going down the Bob Marley/Grateful Dead path, and it was a clash of opposites. I recall one hypocritical conversation where potheads were made fun of for being idiots, meanwhile a literal mountain of dozens of cases of beer rose majestically behind the drum riser in the practice warehouse. And so on. So, the forgetting to pick someone up on the way to the party resonates with me; we went our separate ways.
Tony
Tony

http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ToxicDeath Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Finally figured out what my nerd hurdle is...

DVD extras and Commentaries, sometimes you think the idea of them is good however i never watch the extras and have never watched a movie with the commentary on.

So is this my hurdle?
ToxicDeath
ToxicDeath

http://www.twitter.com/ToxicDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 pm

It's a hurdle for sure. I can't seem to do commentaries either. This is the thing, they're only interesting if you've just watched the movie, but then, they're boring because you've just watched the movie. I watched Serenity with the director's commentary, but it was Christmas break and I was BORED out of my SKULL.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:41 pm

There are only three kinds of DVD commentary
1. Hilarious
2. Interesting
3. Mind numbingly boring

most tend to fit into the third category
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  ToxicDeath Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks, i knew it would qualify, I think I tried to watch one once, John Carpenters Vampires but ye i had just watched the movie and while I like it not enought too watch back to back
ToxicDeath
ToxicDeath

http://www.twitter.com/ToxicDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Tried listening to the Red Dwarf commentaries for ScutterCast research. Theres hours of the actors repeating the gags to their co-commentaters whilst laughing, and very little interesting anecdotes or interesting titbits of information. Nerd Hurdle or dissappointment.......I'll go for the latter me thinks!! Sad
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I've listened to too many commentaries that just say what's happening in the movie to even bother with them now, unless one in particular is recommend to me.
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  2hot2handle Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Bear Police wrote:I've listened to too many commentaries that just say what's happening in the movie to even bother with them now, unless one in particular is recommend to me.

I think everyone who has manged to get through Star Trek: The Motion Picture should watch it again with the directors commentary.
2hot2handle
2hot2handle

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Ew, no way. I barely made it through TMP.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:59 pm

2hot2handle is right. Robert Wise explains a lot of why ST:TMP sucked ass. I live for DVD extras. Back before I disovered podcasts I used to tape the director's commentaries on my favorite movies so I could listen to them on long drives. king
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 am

Banging on about Mac's.

Microsoft is soooo shit, Apple make much better computers, go out and buy one now!

What does it do that's so much better?

They work so much better, once you get one you'll never go back. All designers use them.

I'm not a designer, what can a Mac do for me that's worth 3x the price?

They never crash, and you'll get viruses on a pc.

My pc rarely crashes and why is a Mac safe from viruses?

Well they're not exactly safe, it's just that people prefer to target Windows 'cos they're evil.

So for the price of a Mac I can have 2 pcs both with virus software and have change for an Ipod. Thanks for your help.

This conversation which I've had many times has actually made me never ever want a Mac
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Mekka wrote:Banging on about Mac's.

Microsoft is soooo shit, Apple make much better computers, go out and buy one now!

What does it do that's so much better?

They work so much better, once you get one you'll never go back. All designers use them.

I'm not a designer, what can a Mac do for me that's worth 3x the price?

They never crash, and you'll get viruses on a pc.

My pc rarely crashes and why is a Mac safe from viruses?

Well they're not exactly safe, it's just that people prefer to target Windows 'cos they're evil.

So for the price of a Mac I can have 2 pcs both with virus software and have change for an Ipod. Thanks for your help.

This conversation which I've had many times has actually made me never ever want a Mac

Yes, yes, yes! The Mac love really pisses me off sometimes. It was fine as a joke at first but now they're just beating a dead horse.
JonnyBoy
JonnyBoy

http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:52 pm

I have a Mac and I love its prettiness, but it irritates me sometimes If I had it to do over, I'd probably not get a Mac, but I don't have it to do over so... meh. I do enjoy my wireless mouse and keyboard though.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:58 pm

I always wanted a Mac
then I realised I could have like 3 decent PC's for the same price
Then they just started to piss me off a little
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum