What's Your Hurdle?

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What's Your Hurdle?

Post  charenton_ on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Oh dear. As nerdy as I am, I have a few severe stumbling blocks.

Anime - HATE IT. Don't like the way it looks or the stupid stories and everything about it. YAWN.
WoW - ever since that episode of South Park, I can't look at WoW players as anything remotely human anymore
Star Trek: Voyager - I'm not a huge fan of any iteration of ST actually, but Voyager makes me want to cry. It's so awful. I always end up yelling at the characters on the screen and I'm asked to leave the room by the people who are actually enjoying it. It's Gilligan's Island in space, people. It's dumb, poorly written, and totally inconsistent. And not in a cute, charming way.
Fantasy novels - this may seem strange, considering how much I adore science-fiction novels but ... I just can't get into fantasy. There's something about reading what are essentially D&D adventures that is a snoozer for me.
Chess - I always lose and that's no fun. Stop asking me to play chess with you because I won't.
Fancons - That's just one nerdy thing I could never do ... unless it was for cartoon voice actors maybe!
charenton_

View user profile http://www.farmhousepress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Wow, so many great hurdles. Some of them are mine, too, such as
Video games. I played them briefly in arcades, and dabbled here and there over the years, but I just can't figure them out now.
Anime. I'll watch Battle of the Planets any day. But that's it. I keep hoping I find one that changes things -- and I did like one called the Castle of Something or Other a few years ago -- but for the most part, I lose interest quickly on.
Chess. Never been good at it. My 10-year-old is a bit of a prodigy, and beats me regularly.
weathereye

View user profile http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 pm

weathereye wrote:Wow, so many great hurdles. Some of them are mine, too, such as
Video games. I played them briefly in arcades, and dabbled here and there over the years, but I just can't figure them out now.
Anime. I'll watch Battle of the Planets any day. But that's it. I keep hoping I find one that changes things -- and I did like one called the Castle of Something or Other a few years ago -- but for the most part, I lose interest quickly on.
Chess. Never been good at it. My 10-year-old is a bit of a prodigy, and beats me regularly.

I have a chess trophy Laughing
When I was 11 or 12 I came seventh in a school tournament of about 24 other kids. I got the trophy because I was the highest raking girl.
I was the only girl.
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm

I could barely play "Asteroids" as a kid. As soon as a game like "Tetris" starts speeding up, I totally lose it. I SUCK at video games! Always have. I don't know if it's a hurdle, but I feel like I'm missing out. At least I've spent hours playing guitar instead of Nintendo.

I sometimes think of getting back into model making, or at least putting a jigsaw puzzle together. I came in 2nd Place in the city-wide Pinewood Derby as a kid, I thought that was pretty cool. Nowadays I just shoot hoops once in a while with my 12-year old nephew.

I know, I need to list some hurdles here so those greedy NH podcast hosts can get show ideas for free. I'm sure some will come to me. The sheer cultural brilliance of this NH show is that I/we run across things everyday that we take some sort of issue with. It's good to be able to vent about them!
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Roundapanda wrote:
weathereye wrote:Wow, so many great hurdles. Some of them are mine, too, such as

I have a chess trophy Laughing
When I was 11 or 12 I came seventh in a school tournament of about 24 other kids. I got the trophy because I was the highest raking girl.
I was the only girl.

When I was 11, I went to the North West regional finals cos I was one of the best at my school. I got blown out the water though only winning one game out of 6.

My real big hurdle is Short Films, I have this instant feeling that they're all crap and a waste of my time. I don't know why but I just have that prejudice against them.
JonnyBoy

View user profile http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:
My real big hurdle is Short Films, I have this instant feeling that they're all crap and a waste of my time. I don't know why but I just have that prejudice against them.

That's a good one. Generally, I know they're usually more rewarding for time spent than full-length features (especially the lastest whatever sequel to a remake) but I have to cringe my way into watching them every time. If you asked though, I'd say without a beat, "Short films? Yeah, they're awesome. I love 'em." Yet, I never watch them and rarely go to short film festivals. Thing is, with the short feature, sometimes it's the worst 20 minutes of your life. Worse than 90 minutes of Transformers.
Jakob

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:35 pm

weathereye wrote: and I did like one called the Castle of Something or Other a few years ago --

Howl's Moving Castle? Castle in the Sky? Anyway, both by the master, Miyazaki. Who also did Spirited Away, which I trust you like.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 pm

I've cleared the "listening to podcasts" hurdle

I've now crossed the "actually doing a podcast" hurdle

The one I'm currently having trouble with is the "audiodrama podcast"! I listen to them no problems. I listen to Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy, Superman, Wonder Woman, Babylon 5, etc....... quite a few. But some of my fellow hosts at ScutterCast run FictionShed Productions. It's basically dramatised fan fics in audio format. Listening is fine, but I so want to do some of the voice acting!......or do I! I'm looking at the hurdle and scratching my chin in a ponderous manner. I can read fan fic and listen to podcasts without problem. It's just the combination of the two! A hurdle too far?
ori-STUDFARM

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:I've cleared the "listening to podcasts" hurdle

The one I'm currently having trouble with is the "audiodrama podcast"! I listen to them no problems. I listen to Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy, Superman, Wonder Woman, Babylon 5, etc....... quite a few. But some of my fellow hosts at ScutterCast run FictionShed Productions. It's basically dramatised fan fics in audio format. Listening is fine, but I so want to do some of the voice acting!......or do I! I'm looking at the hurdle and scratching my chin in a ponderous manner. I can read fan fic and listen to podcasts without problem. It's just the combination of the two! A hurdle too far?

Also being directly involved is more of a hurdle. As in, your name is associated with such utter nerdery.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:23 pm

I like Fanfic readings on podcasts, they're like audio books that aren't really well written enough to demand your full attention. "Spellcast" does HP ones, if anyone's interested, it's only okay but it helps me sleep.

The Dramatised things i've heard have usually been alright but they are a bit cringe worthy
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 pm

I haven't listened to any of this sort of podcast. I can certainly see the appeal of participating in one, like a radio play, but I certainly wouldn't try them out unless I had been recommended a specific one and had been told it was awesome. This may be a hurdle for me.
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I've listened to a really terrible Star Wars podrama and a really terrible one about pig musicians.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Being slightly bored in Chemistry today, i decided to commit some of my Nerd hurdles to doodle-age to use as avatars Razz
I am such a dork!
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:25 pm

You avatar is the reason I've never been to a convention.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ToxicDeath on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:00 pm

I think I seem to struggling with the actual concept of Nerd Hurderly, there is very little I will not try aor watch or read but it is in public i will not admit too or do not like to admit too especially the normies.

Such things as podcasts, love them will try anything but do not like to mention in public, love trashy horror films and bad sci-fi but do not like to talk about them, so would my hurdle be talking about my fandoms?

The other big one is Harry potter, love it but do not like to talk about it in public.

Fan-fics are one of those things that i have thought of trying but they just never seem to appeal or I never allow myself to enjoy them.
ToxicDeath

View user profile http://www.twitter.com/ToxicDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:29 pm

It sounds like you need a little dose of nerd pride.
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm

Yep, NERD PRIDE!
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 pm

I have to say this is a huge hurdle for me. One of the guys from ScutterCast, BassJunkie I believe, has suggested I give FictionShed a listen, and I'm sure they're well done, but I just can't imagine getting into them. On the other hand, being the podcasting whore that I am, I have considered auditioning. Shocked
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultact on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 am

I'm guessing it was Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro. Though I do like Howl's. Studio Ghibli is really good.
Ultact

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Marius wrote:

I have to say this is a huge hurdle for me. One of the guys from ScutterCast, BassJunkie I believe, has suggested I give FictionShed a listen, and I'm sure they're well done, but I just can't imagine getting into them. On the other hand, being the podcasting whore that I am, I have considered auditioning. Shocked

The Novo-B one is quite good, but you may be better trying one on a subject you already love. That way you will see if the concept offends you.
The only Star Trek one I've listened to is one set aboard the Defiant done by Pendant Audio. http://www.pendantaudio.com/defiant.php Also available on itunes if you wish.
I personally found this okay, the Bashir voice is perfect. I was let down by the teenage spoilt brat "youngest ever in history" Chief of security. I have the hope that they will kill her off!! However, I do enjoy it, but I'm not as emotionally invested in Star Trek as you are.
ori-STUDFARM

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:55 pm

Ugh, you know what's a huge hurdle for me?
Fan art
I hate it. It's always wank. And the really wank ones just make me cringe
People always always do it in that horrible flat manga style or they do it horribly and flatly on the computer, or they do both. Ick, my dis like for it borders on nerd rage.
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:14 pm

**glances over at Rounda's avatar** scratch
ori-STUDFARM

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Fan art? You'll love www.deviantart.com
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:**glances over at Rounda's avatar** scratch

is different Razz
I'm not serious, the fanArt people are serious.
Is also drawn on paper with lovely biro and not on horrible computer. Nor is it manga stylee...

Also, would you class a doodle as FanArt... because if Klingon cosplay guy is art now, I'm worried about the state of art at the moment

And jumpsuit... don't even get me starte on deviant art Evil or Very Mad
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Fanart, cosplay, fanfiction, all of that stuff makes me cringe. I think anything involving a fan proudly emulating someone or something they admire is a huge hurdle for me.

Edit: there are a couple of exceptions to this. I really like The Dirty Projectors' album Rise Above, which is all reworkings of songs from Black Flag's Damaged, but I don't really think that I can compare Dave Longstreth to the average sweaty anime kid wearing spiky banana hair.
Bear Police

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum