Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STAR TREK: The New Movie

+13
Mekka
cohnee
weathereye
ori-STUDFARM
mediasaurusrex
kumarhk
Bucho
JonnyBoy
Marius
Mandi
Roundapanda
Jakob
Tony
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

STAR TREK: The New Movie Empty STAR TREK: The New Movie

Post  Tony Fri May 08, 2009 8:17 am

I found myself, after my nephew's viola recital, with enough time to make the premiere of "Star Trek" last night, so I decided to see it early rather than wait until Monday. No spoilers here, but...

WOW! A few thoughts struck me to share...one, I found the space scenes really disorienting. But then I realized, maybe that's a good thing, perhaps it's more realistic. Zenith and nadir, to us mere Earthlings, are only tied to our equatorial plane extended out into space; once you're out there, who's to say what is up and what is down? It made me wonder if space scenes in previous ST incarnations were "simple" by comparison.

Two, once I got totally submersed in the story, I found myself feeling like that little kid I used to be watching TOS, it was easy for me to buy this cast as the original crew and that felt very familiar and wonderful, like I had returned home. In particular I thought Karl Urban was great as Dr. McCoy. In fact, the only element I didn't like was Scotty's alien sidekick; it really just felt too Ewok-y, too cutesy Star Wars-y. But otherwise, well done. And it was really nice to see Nimoy again, that was a nice touch, although his introduction in the movie was rather...convenient.
Tony
Tony

http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

STAR TREK: The New Movie Empty Re: STAR TREK: The New Movie

Post  Jakob Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 am

We liked the sidekick. The Ewok lovers said "Cute like an Ewok" and those of us who didn't like Ewoks said "Not Jar-Jar Binksy at all." He (she?) was also clearly more like a Jawa without its hood on. Anyway. I thought the little buddy worked. In fact Simon Pegg/thing pairing was one of the best thing about the film.

The non-horizonal space scenes were good as well as the nods (though not total) to the silence of the vacuum of space. Well done there.

Oddly, I didn't have any problems with any of the things I'd normally bash about a film. For instance, the Scotty water tube scene... That water would either be freezing cold or boiling hot. Normally I go on about how wank that was. But this movie was so goofball, I just went along for the ride. I think on the small screen though, the cheese will rise to the surface. The movie is a glorious pile of corn-dog. I think the most fun I've had at the cinema since Underworld.
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Fri May 08, 2009 9:24 am

Well, the Scotty sidekick thing was only in two scenes, really, so it wasn't overdone. I did buy the grumpy, loner attitude of workers at a far-off starbase. I can only imagine if I were in that situation, I'd let things slide a bit too. I sincerely would take Jawas or Ewoks any day of the week over Jar-Jar and his like. Actually, there were a pretty decent balance overall for the screen time of the characters. I really like Simon Pegg, but did you notice McCoy and his bitching were really only in the first half of the movie, and Scotty and his quips were in the second half? Again, balance.

Yeah, I really like that sound mixing thing of silence when you're expecting a big explosion. I've noticed it in a few movies lately, and not just in space scenes. I think it works because sometimes things are so loud, off the scale, you really don't even hear them, it's just a wave of pressure. So far that effect has sucked me in every time. I think they used it twice in this new ST movie.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Fri May 08, 2009 11:36 am

I'm super excited for this!!!
I'm going out with my friends to see this for my birthday tommorow and Friends + Trek + Pizza = Awesomest birthday party eva!

w00t Smile
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Fri May 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah, I liked it a lot. I think it might be my favourite Star Trek movie. Crazy.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Fri May 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Mandi wrote:Yeah, I liked it a lot. I think it might be my favourite Star Trek movie. Crazy.

I know, I feel the same way. Crazy indeed. And I don't necessarily think that is post-honeymoon bliss. It doesn't negate my fondness for any movie, cast, show or era previous to this, it was just a really good movie.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Fri May 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Khan and First Contact a really the only films in the running though. And FC is really more an extra-budget double-episode than a "movie" in and of itself. In some ways, this was the first Trek movie. Even Khan suffers a little bit from being a film adaptation of a TV series.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Fri May 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Interestingly, when I got home after the movie last night, Sci-Fi was playing the TNG Series Finale, "All Good Things...". It reminded me of something I always thought would happen, and never did. At the time TNG ended in 1994, I would have bet good money they would have had Q as a movie villian. If Paramount had done some epic Q story with a movie budget, that would have been something, I suspect. We'll never know now.

I remember also thinking that "All Good Things..." would have worked on a big movie screen; it certainly, as a story, had more to it than some of the TNG movies.
Tony
Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Fri May 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Here in Toronto they played All Good Things on the Jumbo-Tron at the Skydome. I didn't go, but it must have been one hell of a Nerdfest.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Sat May 09, 2009 3:31 pm

I know I've said this lots of times already, but despite all the things that were horribly wrong with this movie it worked brilliantly! It captured the flavor of TOS, right down to the bogus 'science' and plot holes a mile wide, but the chemistry was perfect. I can't wait to see it again. What a Face
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda Sat May 09, 2009 3:37 pm

I has only one word and several punctuatoins to describe my opinion:

AWESOME!!!!!!
Roundapanda
Roundapanda

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy Sat May 09, 2009 6:35 pm

Roundapanda wrote:I has only one word and several punctuatoins to describe my opinion:

AWESOME!!!!!!

If I may add to this, it wasn't just AWESOME!

IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!

TO THE MAX!

I still think Chekov sounded a bit like Borat though.
JonnyBoy
JonnyBoy

http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 pm

Marius wrote:I know I've said this lots of times already, but despite all the things that were horribly wrong with this movie it worked brilliantly! It captured the flavor of TOS, right down to the bogus 'science' and plot holes a mile wide, but the chemistry was perfect. I can't wait to see it again. What a Face

To me there were things 'wrong' with it Admiral, but nothing 'horribly wrong'. You summed it up perfectly when you pinpointed the chemistry, these actors get it and they drive the film so that it flies over the less awesome bits like the direction of the action scenes Jumpsuit was mentioning and the dodgy writing and plot holes you mention yourself. Pine, Quinto, Pegg and Urban click so well I already can't wait to see them in action together again. Plus the thing just is just so pretty, I hope the next one loses the propensity for ADHD cinematography and lets us drink it in a bit more.

As far as comparing it to Wrath Of Khan I think the new one lacks the epicness to tackle ST2, and although Bana is a good actor the writing of Nero's motivation is too suspect to let him be as compelling as The Chest himself.
Bucho
Bucho

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Sat May 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Shall I be this week's buzzkill? I can't see it until May 28 Sad

Damn you, distribution branch of Paramount. DAMN YOU.
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex Sat May 09, 2009 11:10 pm

I have got my heels dug in for some reason on this.

Too much good press has me holding off.

So today I saw Wolverine instead, and that was damn good. And now, all of that downloading a month ago is forgiven.
mediasaurusrex
mediasaurusrex

http://mediasaurs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho Sun May 10, 2009 1:44 am

kumarhk wrote:Shall I be this week's buzzkill? I can't see it until May 28 Sad

Damn you, distribution branch of Paramount. DAMN YOU.

I feel your pain Kumar, usually NZ is slow to get films (for example The Reader only just came out here a couple of weeks ago). We're luckier on some of the huge blockbusters because they fear us hunting out the pirate copies that flood the net once they open in North America so I got to see Star Trek XI this weekend, but most of the interesting movies we have to wait anywhere from one to eight months. The only exception to all this were the Lord Of The Rings films which we got to see first for obvious reasons.
Bucho
Bucho

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Sun May 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Just go, Peter. It's good. In a B-movie cheeseball way. It's way up your alley.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM Sun May 10, 2009 6:00 pm

I've just returned from going to see it and, as much as I enjoyed watching it, I'm finding myself thinking only about the negatives. I'm going to put these in quote marks to hide spoilers...

******SPOILERS*******
I didn't like the beastie things on the ice planetoid. When the larger one took out the smaller I was expecting Liam Neeson to appear and say "There's always a bigger fish". Now i'm more of a Star Wars fan than a Trek fan, but I always liked the fact that they both had a unique feel. This felt like Wars and not Trek!

I didn't buy it that 2 guys armed with a laser rifle could destroy the "platform" that was cutting into the planets surface. Wouldn't both Vulcan and Earth have some sort of surface weopan or armed shuttle craft that could've done a much more efficient job?

The main bad guys ship that could take out whole squadrons of battle ready starships was a mining vessel! Made me feel a little too disbelieving! I mean really, a mining ship!!

Not sure how I feel about another entirely different timeline playing out. Sort of makes everything else we've seen redundant.

Like I've said many times before, I'm not really a big Trek fan. I enjoy most of it, but aren't really invested into the whole thing like some are.

That said, I did enjoy it. I loved the references to TOS and I loved the actors portrayals of characters we already know and love.

I have a feeling that I might enjoy Terminater 4 more.....maybe
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye Sun May 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Jakob wrote:Khan and First Contact a really the only films in the running though. And FC is really more an extra-budget double-episode than a "movie" in and of itself. In some ways, this was the first Trek movie. Even Khan suffers a little bit from being a film adaptation of a TV series.

This is a really solid point that I hadn't thought of. Every movie prior to this one began on TV and migrated the cast to the big screen. This is all new. Imagine, for a second, that the original movies hadn't happened, and TNG had never aired ... Hollywood would have, at some point, conceived a big-screen Star Trek remake. Maybe in the 1980s, with someone like Michael Douglas as Kirk and Jeff Goldblum as Spock.

So we got off lucky. We had decade after decade of almost-uninterrupted Star Trek. And now a fresh start.

I enjoyed the movie. I wish I'd seen it before Saturday, but I'm glad I finally got to the theatre. And yes, Jakob, "that thing" surprised the heck out of me. I'm considering a TOS rewatch to see if it was even hinted at.
weathereye
weathereye

http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Sun May 10, 2009 10:44 pm

It's hinted at in Charlie X. Unless we're talking about different "things."
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye Sun May 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Jakob wrote:It's hinted at in Charlie X. Unless we're talking about different "things."

No, we're talking about the same thing. And now I don't have to re-watch TOS. That's exactly where it comes from. You must have been bouncing in your seat when you saw that.
weathereye
weathereye

http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Mon May 11, 2009 12:16 am

Hmmm, I never really considered that scene from Charlie X in quite that way. I must reevaluate. Norman, coordinate! Wink
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  cohnee Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 am

So yes it was awesome, and I saw it with three non-trekkers who also agreed it was awesome, and asked questions about the plot without (much) sniggering at the answers.
cohnee
cohnee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Mon May 11, 2009 7:20 am

Can someone please PM me 'the thing'. I'm intrigued and saw Charlie X not too long ago.
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  rob Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 am

This film has more or less made me into a Star Trek fan. I now need to watch all the original series . A blockbuster that actually entertained me, such a rare thing! The childhood scenes did not disturb me at all, I found them ironical and they gave Kirk some more character. It also formed a ground for the contention between Kirk and Spock in the movie. I thought it was bloody brilliant how it played out between Kirk and Spock.

The intro caught my complete attention and I was almost afraid it would go downhill from there. I literally expected an anti-climax. But to my amazement the film kept its feet firm on the ground and never turned into a porous jelly. ( Barring some plot-holes and weird Science, but who cares!)
rob
rob

http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next