Hurdles caused by other people

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hurdles caused by other people

Post  JonnyBoy on Sun May 03, 2009 4:34 pm

I've just been chatting to someone about American dramas and he asked if I like The Wire. I went onto explain that I'm rebelling against it because I'm constantly being told that: "This is the best thing EVER! You MUST watch it!" I usually avoid stuff that has a lot of hype, just because from experience, it usually kills it. The hype killed The Dark Knight for me, and I'm afraid it will do it for The Godfather.

Then I got to thinking, has anyone else got any Nerd Hurdles because everyone else is raving about something?

Also, let me know this is not some weird reaction that only I'm doing. Its human nature to rebel like this isn't it?
JonnyBoy

View user profile http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Re: Hurdles caused by other people

Post  Jakob on Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 pm

Oh yeah. I only like things no one else likes or I mistakenly believe no one else likes. I have a contrarian streak in me. I haven't watched Godfather because people seem insanely in love with it and every clip I've seen looks lame. Or at least "just another movie." The whole IMDB culture seems whack to me. Films which were at no other point in film history considered important cinema, suddenly are. Godfather being a prime example. The IMDB top 250 (?) should be renamed the top movies popular with males 18-35. Because the list is pretty heavily skewed.
Jakob

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye on Wed May 06, 2009 1:46 pm

All five Wire box sets are sitting on my shelf right now, loaners from my mothers. They love crime shows, particularly CSI and that kind of kack. Their shelves are lined with NYPD Blue, Without a Trace, NCIS, and also the Sopranos and that sort of thing.

Months have gone by and I haven't watched The Wire. For the same reason Jon offered. And I have to keep explaining myself; when I do, I hear "Once you get past the first three episodes, it's the best television ever made." This, however, is an argument that does not hold with a fan of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Lost.
weathereye

View user profile http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Wed May 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm the worst here with music. The presence of a track on Billboard often drives me to avoid it. That made working at a record store a bit of a challenge, until I realized that no one needed advice on who Vanilla Ice or Wilson Phillips were ... radio covered that nicely. The things I was listening to at the time -- Sepultura, Jane's Addiction -- were a mystery to the many in the Top 40 crowd. So it worked out.

Funny thing is ... long after the hype and scandals, when Milli Vanilli became the scourge of the music world ... that's when I downloaded "Blame It On The Rain" (you know it's true).
Razz
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed May 06, 2009 2:04 pm

I found working in record stores increased my music hurdles tenfold. Especially certain fans of certain groups. Tool fans, Zappa fans, Van Morrison fans, etc made it nearly impossible for me to ever hear the music with an unbiased ear. Also working at stores began to make me hate underground music just as much as mainstream music.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  rob on Sun May 10, 2009 6:41 pm

I have this all the time , especially with books and music. I don't mind because it encourages me to find something that people around me wouldn't pick up anytime soon. Of course , the lines are crossed now that I've become more active on the internet. However, the internet hasn't been as prominent in this phenomenon simply because it serves as my alternative source for media. The cd-shops in a 10 mile radius wouldn't sell even a Flaming lips album.
rob

View user profile http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Mon May 11, 2009 11:47 am

weathereye wrote:All five Wire box sets are sitting on my shelf right now, loaners from my mothers. They love crime shows, particularly CSI and that kind of kack. Their shelves are lined with NYPD Blue, Without a Trace, NCIS, and also the Sopranos and that sort of thing.

Months have gone by and I haven't watched The Wire. For the same reason Jon offered. And I have to keep explaining myself; when I do, I hear "Once you get past the first three episodes, it's the best television ever made." This, however, is an argument that does not hold with a fan of Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Lost.
I think that a lot of people miscalculate the 'three episodes before you click' thing with The Wire. Its not that those are bad episodes, or that it will take you a specific amount of time to get into it. I suggest that you just stick it on, and get it out of the way. The thing that takes time is the language, which is so colloquial and can be very difficult to understand though the thick Baltimore accents, and its also the grand scope of the show. The protagionist is constantly changing and it can be difficult at times to keep up with who is the centre of the story, but I think that Rob and Kennedy, you will both find the show very rewarding if you let it get you.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex on Mon May 11, 2009 4:18 pm

I was so into the WIRE when it was on television, that some of the heads that I discussed the series with online back then still keep contact with me. You guys dragging your feet on it? Seriously, it is your loss. I have dealt with so many people who have slept on this thing that I kind of wait at the top of the mountain until people begin to climb it and seek revelation. When they get up there, I can teach them some new kung-fu.

Lately, my forced hurdle has been LOST.
One of my old WIREHEADS has been religiously riding me to watch LOST. I did the first season on a 2 day bender about 6 months ago and was not a little bit disappointed.

Well, my guy is forcing this hurdle and I am doing it again.

I hear that the second season really brings some payoff. but seriously, this is television. ABC television to be exact.

I can't even really break into a jog to think about this hurdle...but here it is.

I keep on saying to myself that SPEED RACER was a ridiculous hurdle, and now I could argue that it one of the best films that happened last year. Furthermore, that film had Matt Fox in it and maybe this Fox character is on some pop culture truth that i can get behind.

At this point though, LOST is a bunch of paranoid BS that was done much better with THE PRISONER.
mediasaurusrex

View user profile http://mediasaurs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye on Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm

mediasaurusrex wrote:I keep on saying to myself that SPEED RACER was a ridiculous hurdle, and now I could argue that it one of the best films that happened last year. Furthermore, that film had Matt Fox in it and maybe this Fox character is on some pop culture truth that i can get behind.

At this point though, LOST is a bunch of paranoid BS that was done much better with THE PRISONER.

I haven't seen Speed Racer, and I never saw the cartoon, but I think I'll watch the movie ... you're the third person to say it's far better than it gets credit for.

And as much as I love Lost -- and I love Lost -- I am always reminded of The Prisoner. I think I enjoy Lost as much as I do because The Prisoner was so much a part of my formative years.
weathereye

View user profile http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

RE:Hurdles caused by other people

Post  La Femme Fox Mulder on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:49 pm

I have lots of hurdles caused by other people:
Firefly. Star Trek the original series. The Nerd Store.
ever since your podcast, I can't bring myself to read The Golden Compass books. Graphic novels. There are more I can't think of.
My biggest hurdle is Belegarth. And all of these hurdles hinder me so much because the guys that like these things are the guys I usually try to "pick up", ahahaha.
God, all the challenges single girls have to face these days. All the hurdles that need to be hurdled. Will they ever end?
LOL
jk
Wink
La Femme Fox Mulder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

What the hell is Belegarth? Sounds like a legitimate hurdle to me.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

RE: Hurdles caused by other people

Post  La Femme Fox Mulder on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:15 pm

Jakob wrote:What the hell is Belegarth? Sounds like a legitimate hurdle to me.

OH MY GOD JAKOB, You have never heard of Belegarth??
ahahaha
I have included a link, and a pic. But you can also experience it through the movie "Role Models".
There is a club in Thunder Bay and they practice in this park, its weird and I have drove by many times to watch. ahaha. Yes, I am the girl who drives by gawking, too afraid to go and talk to them. lol
http://www.belegarth.com/
La Femme Fox Mulder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:25 pm

La Femme Fox Mulder wrote:I have lots of hurdles caused by other people:
Firefly.

I liked Firefly but I understand that hype-hurdle completely, that show was talked about by devotees as if it was unfettered genius. I'm impressed that the rabidity of those fans seemed to be at least partly responsible for the movie being made, but hype is usually a natural deterent/hurdle-builder for me. That's why I try to hold back from over-exagerating the quality of things when I recommend them to others, which is kind of a battle when I find something that I find pretty awesome and want to shout my love for from the hilltops.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 am

People keep telling me that The Big Bang Theory is a show that I absolutely must watch, and will love. I've seen two episodes and I'm not impressed. Is it me?
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:47 am

I saw 5 minutes of The Big Bang Theory and it didn't pull me in. 5 minutes is hardly a fair go though.

Firefly & Serenity - It's over, it didn't last very long and maybe I could have appreciated it before the hype.

Flight of the Conchords - I just don't get it and being told it's perfect makes me feel inferior!
Mekka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:54 am

The thing with Firefly is that people like it for different reasons. I was told it was awesome for a particular set of reasons, but I loved it for very different reasons. My advice is to just watch it with an open mind. Don't even think of it as sci-fi, because in many senses it is not sci-fi.
kumarhk

View user profile http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

RE: Hurdles caused by other people

Post  La Femme Fox Mulder on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Marius wrote:People keep telling me that The Big Bang Theory is a show that I absolutely must watch, and will love. I've seen two episodes and I'm not impressed. Is it me?

I saw a couple episodes that were pretty funny. I saw one the other day and there was a funny scene with them all on a train, and in walks the girl of their dreams. The girl happened to be Summer Glau (from Firefly and Serenity (although I haven't seen either)) but they were pumped because she is on The Terminator (Sarah Connor Chronicles) and hawt. So the guys have a contest to see who can woo her. It was pretty funny.

But like most sitcoms, unfortunately there are good episodes mixed in with bad episodes. I hear it gets like 10 million viewers per episode.
La Femme Fox Mulder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm not bothered how sci-fi Firefly is. I've just never heard anything that makes it appeal. You get the rabid fans stating how wonderful it is but never what actually is so wonderful about it.
Mekka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Firefly has one of the best ensemble casts ever. The chemistry is simply awesome and the characters fit around each other like jigsaw puzzle pieces. Plus there's some good stories, there's mystery and intrigue in the story arc and there's just something about the universe they've created which just works. It's funny, it's exciting, it's addictive.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:24 pm

Firefly is, when you boil it down, an adventure story. The characters, while they are very different, play off each other very well - but they do have their conflicts. Each episode is jam packed with plot and character development; there is no dull moment in Firefly. If you watch it in its proper order (not Fox's fucked up order), you can see the characters subtly growing and changing. You start getting involved with the characters and caring about them. By the time you get to Serenity the movie, you can overlook the odd bits of cheese and such because you are so familiar with these characters. But above all, Firefly is incredibly entertaining. The pacing and suspense are excellently done, and the dialogue is extremely witty and snappy.

It's brilliant. Watch it. There are only fourteen episodes and one movie; it's not really a big investment.
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Mary, you might as well give it a go. The complete series is only a tenner on Amazon and I rarely see the film for more than three pounds. Its also a show that is easy to like. You know my tastes, I like dark stories with deep characters... stuff that addresses social ills because I like to feel important. Firefly is just a great genre piece. Its light, its pacey, the character interactions are funny, and everything else that everyone has said for the last five years or whatever. In fact along with Curb and Deadwood it is the show that got me into television, so even though I can see that there are better shows I am eternally grateful to Whedon for that. You might as well give it a go Mary, even if its only to stop people from shouting 'You haven't seen Firefly?' every time it comes up.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Mekka wrote:Flight of the Conchords - I just don't get it and being told it's perfect makes me feel inferior!

Yeah, that is a shame, it's not perfect (especially the second season) and it is very narrowly defined and kiwi in its straight-faced, dry comedic sensibility so not getting it shouldn't bum you out. I love them but I'm still pretty surprised when anyone outside of NZ and Aus connects with it. I think a big part of it might be that 99.94% of musical comedy is pure shittola so hearing someone do it in a way that doesn't suck seems quite surprising and impressive.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Also, I think it's fair to say that if Ben and I both like something a lot, it's worth giving a go. Very Happy
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:02 pm

I have a fucking Vampire hurdle. What is with this sudden obsession? I know that Twilight is popular, but when Potter was big nobody wanted to actually be a fucking wizard and walk around in a cape with a wand, so why do we now have people who want to be fucking Vampires? And how the fuck is drinking blood sexy? I've never had my blood sucked, but I value the eight pints that are flowing around my body thank you very much... and now i'm teetering over the precipice of just becoming a Tony Hancock sketch I shall move on...

The fucking Vampire lovers are making me not want to like True Blood, or Let The Right One In, which are two of my favourite things that i've seen this year. Its pissing the fuck out of me, because wherever I fucking turn people are reading that shitting book or talking about that fucking Cullen bloke. I should have fucking smacked him when I met him, the cunt.

Fuck Ben, calm down, you guys see what this Vampire thing is doing to me? I promised a female friend that I would read the next book in that fucking saga after the first one, but I have been really put off by this shit.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 pm

It's cyclical. There's always an influx of goths whenever there a big vampire franchise out there. In the 90s it was Anne Rice inspired. It'll fade in 9 months to a year.

Drinking blood is sexy because it's a metaphor for semen and/or milk.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top