Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the Nerdiest thing you've done today?

+22
sleepysamco
Wilco
Bear Police
sherlock2040
mediasaurusrex
rob
Ultact
Sissillie
Mekka
cohnee
ro karen
GAB
weathereye
Tony
Jakob
Hayden_Bloom
Marius
JonnyBoy
kumarhk
ori-STUDFARM
Mandi
Roundapanda
26 posters

Page 17 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Go down

What's the Nerdiest thing you've done today? - Page 17 Empty Re: What's the Nerdiest thing you've done today?

Post  ori-STUDFARM Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:05 pm

Stages 3 & 4 suck! 5 is okay, but you have to get through stages 3 & 4 to get there!! Fuck That! I don't wanna go through that! "Please God, make it so I don't reach stage 5. I don't wanna love the Star Trek......" Hey wait a minute!! This is starting to sound familiar.........oh shit!! Stage 3!!!
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

What's the Nerdiest thing you've done today? - Page 17 Empty Re: What's the Nerdiest thing you've done today?

Post  Jakob Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:05 pm

I simultaneously am #2 and #5. Not sure how that works.
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:09 pm

Thats what I am, but |I thought I'd sound an arse if I said it. Glad you took the plunge there cyclops
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:25 pm

That's cool, when I get published, I'll make sure I mention the Flanagan-Rehlinger anomaly.

EDIT: And I'll make sure I remember to mention Hardy syndrome where you're just born into stage 5
JonnyBoy
JonnyBoy

http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:32 pm

I think its awesome that an imaginary friend knows my surname. I don't want anyone to mention how potentially dangerous that is, and I don't want Mr Higham to destroy things by revealing that he had to search my name somewheres.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 pm

lol The nerdy thing I've done today is knowing an imaginary friends surname without having to actually look it up. Though I did look up Rehlinger, that was just to make sure I spelt it right.
JonnyBoy
JonnyBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  rob Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:01 am

I'm 5 all the way. I don't know how that happened, I used to care so much about not coming across as a Nerd. The last two years I've developed an indifference to what 'normies ' think . Now I'm worried I'm not nerdy enough. Not really. I don't know , maybe I'm not a nerd at all. It's become such a thin line nowadays, or so it seems.
rob
rob

http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:28 am

With you on your 5 perspective, Rob. I don't care if someone who doesn't really know me thinks I'm a dork ... the ones who know me already know bigger truths than that.
Let them eat cake.

As for 2 and 4, I've got much better things to be angry or depressed about.

I'm sure we can work Sir Newton in here without much effort.

"A Normie will remain a Normie until someone introduces her or him to a slick new vision of Star Trek."

"The more fully you invest in all past episodes of all previous Star Trek franchises, the more quickly and comprehensively you will clear your nerd hurdle."

"For every new reality TV show, there is an equal and opposite (and usually superior) fantastic show where a geeky counterbalance keeps this world at 23-ish degrees."

Something like that.
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:29 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:lol The nerdy thing I've done today is knowing an imaginary friends surname without having to actually look it up. Though I did look up Rehlinger, that was just to make sure I spelt it right.
In that case I'm very impressed that you spelt my surname right.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:37 am

Hayden_Bloom wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:lol The nerdy thing I've done today is knowing an imaginary friends surname without having to actually look it up. Though I did look up Rehlinger, that was just to make sure I spelt it right.
I know for a fact that mine causes some trouble for a few people Very Happy
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mediasaurusrex Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 am

Today I lusted after this t-shirt:

What's the Nerdiest thing you've done today? - Page 17 Predator_What_The_Hell_Are_You-T

I am going to have to make the investment.
mediasaurusrex
mediasaurusrex

http://mediasaurs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:52 am

JonnyBoy wrote:He is just still in the first stage of what I call, the Kubler-Ross-Higham model of nerdity.

Stage 1: Denial - Deny that you are a nerd.
Example: "Pffff, I'm a cooly wooley. I'm not a nerd, those nerds are stupid"

Stage 2: Anger - Person becomes angry at beginning to realise they are a nerd.
Example: "Why me?!" "How can this happen to such a cooly wooley?"

Stage 3: Bargaining - Negotiation begins with a higher power in exchange for not being a nerd.
Example: "Listen God, I'll give up all my savings if you just make it so that I don't love Star Trek" (Pun intended)

Stage 4: Depression - Person begins to understand the certainty of being a nerd, individuals may cry and grieve about this realisation.
Example: "What's the point? I'm a nerd, my life will never be the same. *cries*"

Stage 5: Acceptance - Person comes to peace and accepts being a nerd.
Example: "You know what, its going to be OK, I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it"

I don't fit into any of those. I think I'm somewhere between Nerd and Cooly Wooly. I can't see me changing at this late stage of life either. I'm destined to roam the void alone until I cross the bridge Rolling Eyes
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 pm

kumarhk wrote:
Hayden_Bloom wrote:
I know for a fact that mine causes some trouble for a few people Very Happy

It certainly is a tongue twister. But I think I've got it down.

Mekka wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote:He is just still in the first stage of what I call, the Kubler-Ross-Higham model of nerdity.

Stage 1: Denial - Deny that you are a nerd.
Example: "Pffff, I'm a cooly wooley. I'm not a nerd, those nerds are stupid"

Stage 2: Anger - Person becomes angry at beginning to realise they are a nerd.
Example: "Why me?!" "How can this happen to such a cooly wooley?"

Stage 3: Bargaining - Negotiation begins with a higher power in exchange for not being a nerd.
Example: "Listen God, I'll give up all my savings if you just make it so that I don't love Star Trek" (Pun intended)

Stage 4: Depression - Person begins to understand the certainty of being a nerd, individuals may cry and grieve about this realisation.
Example: "What's the point? I'm a nerd, my life will never be the same. *cries*"

Stage 5: Acceptance - Person comes to peace and accepts being a nerd.
Example: "You know what, its going to be OK, I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it"

I don't fit into any of those. I think I'm somewhere between Nerd and Cooly Wooly. I can't see me changing at this late stage of life either. I'm destined to roam the void alone until I cross the bridge Rolling Eyes

The work of a self appointed nerd doctor is never done. I best get writing up the "Freer complex" and all its details.
JonnyBoy
JonnyBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 am

I recently taught a few teenagers (around my age) some maths and physics over Twitter. On multiple separate occasions.
kumarhk
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 am

Would somebody explain the definition of a 'cooly-wooly'?
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:40 am

People who are "too cool for school." The Andrew McCarthy and James Spader characters in Pretty In Pink. Emillio Estevez and Molly Ringwald in Breakfast Club. The cast of the O.C. (except the comic book guy). The cast of The Hills. Perhaps the vampires in Twilight. Cool, popular, well turned-out, socially apt kids. Often douchebags. Alpha-normals.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 am

What are the names of the types in the middle of the spectrum?
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 am

Those would just be "members of the public".
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:27 am

Jakob wrote:Those would just be "members of the public".
Does this group differ from normies in any way?
kumarhk
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 am

Well, that's a good point. The term "normie" is someone of average cultural tastes who tends to harbour little interest in sci-fi, fantasy or academic arts and sciences and might judge those who devote a lot attention to those subjects. Really, most people aren't as narrowly focussed as a dictionary-definition normie would be. Everyone has a bit of nerdiness in them—or at the very least they enjoy sci-fi or super hero movies but leave it at enjoyment and don't pursue an active interest in these fandoms. So when I say "member of the public" I say that meaning most people have a nerdy interest in something. Be it Star Trek or auto-racing or gardening or cooking or whatever.

It is my belief that Mekka is a "self-loathing nerd."
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Ha ha. I see myself as a MOTP will a slightly nerdy slant. I enjoy my sci-fi, fantasy, history, etc. I have no wish however to remember every episode title or spread the word to others. My nerdiness knows different levels. I suppose with Classic Who on a scale of 1 (normy) to 5 (Uber-nerd), I'm a 4. That's the highest the nerdometer would go for me. Star Trek/Wars, the Apollo Program and LOTR I'm maybe a 3. After that I fade back into the grey of normy society. I'd say for other nerdy things I have an interest rather than a passion.
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 pm

I think a score higher than a 2 on any one topic makes you a nerd. It's like being pregnant. You can't be just a little bit...
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:48 pm

I see your point. However if you can't be 'a little bit of a nerd' can you be 'a huge nerd'? Are some of the members of this forum nerdier than others?

I can't believe I'm debating nerdery Shocked
Mekka
Mekka

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:18 pm

If you're going to debate nerdery, a thread called "The nerdiest thing I've done today" would be the one to do it in.

I think within being a nerd, there can be degrees. On the scale of 1-to-Nerd, clearly some people are huger nerds than others. I think I would say within that spectrum, middle-weight nerds do not get their own designation. You either completely lack nerdity (and I would argue at that point a personality) or you are a nerd.

Are some people on this forum nerdier than others? That is hard to say. From an "interests" stand-point I would say no. Some are prouder of their nerdery, than others, but we all seem to inhabit the same level of nerdery whatever our chosen field of study may be. As far as the "social ineptitude" aspect of being a nerd, without getting us all in a room, that might be difficult to tell.

There is also what I will dub Rehlinger's Paradox. This is based on the concept that what makes a person "cool" is ultimately the level of self-confidence and comofrt "in their own skin" they feel. A person who is completely at ease with their sense of self will almost always command respect and a sense of "What a cool person!" in other people. As a "nerd" accepts and becomes more at ease with themselves, proud an confident of their nerdery, they transcend the boundaries of nerdism and become "cool" in the eyes of the general populace. What makes them a nerd, in effect makes them cool.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  rob Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Rehlinger's Paradox, how vexing!

When this nerdery becomes cool, can the person still be called a nerd unequivocally? I personally think so , we're looking at interests after all , not social skills and functioning in society, or are we? There's something interesting at play here. Does Nerd-pride automatically coagulate with Cool-pride ? Or does the person need to conform to 'normie' standards to truly feel part of the coolness despite being regarded as cool by others for the nerdiness.

Is this a different kind of 'cool' , that one bestowed on the proud nerd by normies? One which is received in a kind of knowingly mocking /self-deprecating manner by the nerd? I could pose more questions , I suppose it all depends on the individual.

Simplest would be to say that a Nerd is someone with an unduly interest in Sci-Fi/Fantasy/ Science etc. And that it has nothing to do with the character of this person, cool or not. But are we looking at it from a nerd's perspective when saying it depends on interests? Usually people called 'Nerd' in a derogatory manner are the more socially awkward , recluse or less attractive/errantly clothed people , and they're called 'nerd' by people who may not even give a damn about the (hidden) hobbies of this person.. While 'Nerd' in a positive way can be someone who has either grown more confident , or a cool person who has a penchant to enjoy nerdy activities seperately from the cool activities.

Now I'm even more confused. It could be a psuedo-paradox.
rob
rob

http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next