Music Hurdles

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Music Hurdles

Post  Bucho on Sun May 10, 2009 1:56 am

I don't have any music genre hurdles in the sense I'm ashamed of people knowing I listen to them but the only two genres I really can't stand are that unfunky 4-4 house bollocks and stage musicals. Every other genre, including often maligned ones like modern r'n'b, country, emo rock, prog and opera, I can find at least a half a dozen examples of artists that I like amongst the general hideousness, but soulless house and chirpy or melodramatric stage musical songs are like a roomful of babies crying to me.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rob on Sun May 10, 2009 10:43 am

Hayden_Bloom wrote:House music is a bit of a hurdle for me. For a start I'm not entirely sure what fits into the bracket of house, and what I have listened to seems a little boring.

I've never been big on house music myself but for an exception here and there . If you want a decent House record , I can heartily recommend Silent shout by The Knife. It still doesn't completely appeal to me but I do enjoy the record now and then when the mood strikes. Lindstrom is good, but I don't think it is House music.

My biggest Music Hurdle would have to be the barrage of Brit-pop/rock bands that have dominated the so-called hipster music scene in the last 5 years or so. I first noticed it when the Arctic monkeys came out with their quaffable debut ( to a lesser extend The Strokes). Quality stretches from listenable to outright aggravating and ear-grating. Bands like : The Klaxons or The Fray ... Etc.. They sound alike and seem to possess identical voice-boxes in their throats. Also , they grew up in the exact same area. I admit to liking a song here and there, but listening to a whole album can become downright obnoxious.

A more minor hurdle, one that is rapidly diminishing, is 80s pop music. You have to understand where I'm coming from with this. I grew up in a house where this kind of stuff was anathema. Jazz, Classical music , these were the things that impinged themselves on my psyche. This has resulted in a somewhat knee-jerk reaction when I hear a Phil Collins type song with stereotype echoey drum-tracks accompanied by depressive swimming-pool synths. I cannot stand this music. The Smiths is about where I draw the line. Some advice on where to go would be appreciated.
rob

View user profile http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police on Sun May 10, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm not entirely sure what the real definition of "house music" is, but Silent Shout most definitely not house. It's a brilliant record, though, and if you want more electronica like that, check out The Field and Four Tet.
Bear Police

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rob on Sun May 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Bear Police wrote:I'm not entirely sure what the real definition of "house music" is, but Silent Shout most definitely not house. It's a brilliant record, though, and if you want more electronica like that, check out The Field and Four Tet.

I'm sorry for misleading anyone . I'll throw 'house' into the nurdle bin too then.
rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sun May 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Perhaps I've been watching a tad too much "House" of late, but now when some one refers to House music, I picture Hugh Laurie raving...
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police on Sun May 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Jakob wrote:I'm just listening to some spacerock and thinking it's probably a nerd hurdle for most people. Seeing as it's a sub-genre of prog rock. But man... a little spacerock makes my world orbit properly.
Alright, I have to make another exception to my prog hurdle for Spacemen 3.
Bear Police

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sun May 10, 2009 2:47 pm

Spacemen 3 are certainly not prog. They are however awesome spacerock/psyche. Prog, I think, is defined be as certain amount of jazz or classical training. At least in the original late-60s sense of the word.
Jakob

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Sun May 10, 2009 5:53 pm

rob wrote: 
My biggest Music Hurdle would have to be the barrage of Brit-pop/rock bands that have dominated the so-called hipster music scene in the last 5 years or so. I first noticed it when the Arctic monkeys came out with their quaffable debut ( to a lesser extend The Strokes). Quality stretches from listenable to outright aggravating and ear-grating. Bands like : The Klaxons or The Fray ... Etc.. They sound alike and seem to possess identical voice-boxes in their throats. Also , they grew up in the exact same area. I admit to liking a song here and there, but listening to a whole album can become downright obnoxious.

Yeah, I can't get behind any of those bands either. Starting with The Libertines. I wasn't a huge Oasis/Blur supporter in that wave of Brit-pop either though (do enjoy a touch of Pulp). But the newer stuff, as cited above, really leaves me cold. There seems to be a wall between me and Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons, British Sea Power, etc.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sun May 10, 2009 5:56 pm

I pretty much love every band you just mentioned apart from Brittish Sea Power Razz

Though I have gone off the Libertines recently...
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye on Sun May 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Ah, prog-rock ... I suffer from the same hurdle as I do with Rush, and it's more to do with the fan base than the music. Every prog-rock band I was exposed to growing up would impress me with one cool song, then bore me with endless noodling. And the guys I knew who loved prog were also the guys who would rather create their own line of Dungeons and Dragons trading cards by hand. As much as I admire that artistic talent now, at the time I was more concerned with things like showering and talking to girls. I guess it stayed with me.

This has resulted in my never exploring that epoch of rock very much. And I don't think I will. In the end, my taste in music is very simplistic. I like simple riffs, clean lines and straightforwardly structured songs. I guess those 12-minute Moog vs. double-neck Flying V workouts just aren't my thing.
weathereye

View user profile http://weathereye.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 am

rob wrote: ... when I hear a Phil Collins type song with stereotype echoey drum-tracks accompanied by depressive swimming-pool synths. ...

I feel you Rob, as someone who spent their formative years navigating 80s myself when I hear that cliched echoey synthesized snare drum I'm ready to kill someone, or at least their stereo speakers.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Mon May 11, 2009 5:39 am

weathereye wrote:... And the guys I knew who loved prog were also the guys who would rather create their own line of Dungeons and Dragons trading cards by hand. As much as I admire that artistic talent now, at the time I was more concerned with things like showering and talking to girls. ...

You pretty much nailed why I never connected with prog and grew out of idolising shred metal guitarists. It seemed to me that the guys who would spend hour after hour perfecting their technique in their bedrooms were wasting hour after hour they could have been perfecting their chances of actually coming into physical contact with girls. Music is an awesome way to get noticed by the fairer sex, but when you take it so deathly seriously you can easily defeat the purpose. Plus it's far too easy to over-cerebralize and craft the dangerousness out of rock music, and then it's not really rock music anymore.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 am

That is certainly what prog suffers from most. I can't deny it. That sums up the worst of a dodgy genre. But, like any genre, unless you dig into it you're only going to scratch the populous surface. Which in prog terms is Yes, Genesis and ELP which got played on the radio. All of which are horrible and have the dangerous rock crafted out of them. But when people talk about prog in positive terms, it's usually about the more avant garde, edgier, harder bands. I'm not sure it's a genre that is really worth exploring though unless it's calling to you. There's a Lake of Yes to navigate past before you find something listenable.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  rob on Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 am

This is the hurdle I usually dare not speak. The Doors. I recently bought the debut album on cassette for peanut money and played it a couple of times. To no avail. The whole album (except for 'the end' in both ways) grinds on me . There is something undeniably insipid about their music, it never really sounds genuine to my ears. From the production to the lyrics, I don't get it. Admittedly , some of the guitar solos are pretty good.

I hope I'm not alone on this.
rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 am

I went through a "Doors appreciation" phase a couple of years ago. But I'm with you. I ended up with a mix CD of my favourite tracks, none of which are the hit singles or songs used in movies about Vietnam. On that first album "The End" is perhaps the only true strong point. And a the following albums are similar in that there's a pretty brilliant track here or there to pick out. What I like about the Doors is the interplay between the guitar and the organ on particularily Eastern sounding passages. Unfortunately that king douche Morrison has to ruin things by spouting off his sophmoric poetry over top.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 am

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, I only read the last post by ya Jakob...have you read "No One Here Gets Out Alive"?
I have, and I agree with your assessment of Professor Morrison; what a waste of some talent and great opportunity.

edit...
Ok, I'm not a total wanker, just not very awake...I read the old posts, didn't see mention of the book. I too have bought lots of cassettes for peanut money...off the top of my head, only the Ric Ocasek and Duran Duran ones were worth the investment.

And a good point about the dangerousness of rock being cerebralized out of prog. I'd add that, as someone who records solo in his basement studio, you can't rock alone. It's a communal thing.
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rob on Mon May 11, 2009 11:45 am

I love cassettes. I bought a whole stack of them recently : Bob Dylan , Nick Cave, Portishead, Iggy pop, Lou reed, Joni Mitchell , Miles Davis (Bitches brew, great stuff) and Tom Waits. I wish I had bought all the Dylan tapes, they're awesome for in the car.
rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 11, 2009 11:46 am

When I owned a car a few years ago, I had three cases of cassettes in the backseat. It was awesome.

Speaking of tapes... http://www.makeamixa.com/
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye on Mon May 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Jakob wrote:I went through a "Doors appreciation" phase a couple of years ago. But I'm with you. I ended up with a mix CD of my favourite tracks, none of which are the hit singles or songs used in movies about Vietnam. On that first album "The End" is perhaps the only true strong point. And a the following albums are similar in that there's a pretty brilliant track here or there to pick out. What I like about the Doors is the interplay between the guitar and the organ on particularily Eastern sounding passages. Unfortunately that king douche Morrison has to ruin things by spouting off his sophmoric poetry over top.

I really tried to like the Doors, especially after reading No One Here. At one point, I had every album on CD. Now I have the Greatest Hits. And that's enough. I've always thought the band was a perfect case of style over substance. The revival, with Ian Astbury, was even more of a ballsuck. I love the Cult. I'd listen to Ian Astbury sing Milli Vanilli covers. But he went out and got a Jim Morrison haircut and just aped him for years. Ridiculous. It wasn't about the music. It was about the Cult of Morrison Personality.

Once in a while, I listen to a Doors song. I feel the same way about them as I feel about the Eagles, or Meat Loaf ... it's one-note music, something to enjoy while it's on, but without any real variety and without any lasting meaning.
weathereye

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Mon May 11, 2009 9:23 pm

Why in the world would anyone think Ian Astbury would be the right replacement frontman for The Doors? Everyone knows that's Glenn Danzig's job ... and I don't mean that as a compliment for either band.

You have to ignore many pounds of pretension, but there are several Doors songs I like -- most of them non-hits.
Yes The River Knows, The Soft Parade, Peace Frog, The Celebration of the Lizard, Soul Kitchen (but only the live version), Hyacinth House.

I do not like most of the radio airplay they get.

The part of their sound that disappoints is the lack of a bass guitar. Most of the bands I like musically have a strong bass player ... not a bassline simulated by organ pedals.
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 11, 2009 10:01 pm

That's pretty much the Doors mix I mentioned earlier.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  weathereye on Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Ian Astbury was the right man for one band. Well, and also the Holy Barbarians (unsung and unknown, but worth hearing).

Recycling old bands the way "D21K" or "Riders On The Storm" or whatever is just poopy. Either change things and bring it forward, or leave it behind. Cloning the original music 30 years later just will not work ... musically. I'm sure Manzarek & Krieger made a mint off the project.

I remember catching the "new Doors" on Craig Kilborn early on, and just cringing.
weathereye

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm

I saw an interview with Manzarek when he was promoing that tour. He brought douchebag to astounding new levels.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 pm

No hurdles here, just my favorite song by my second-favorite band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43SuOgFZgM

This is glorious music. And the girl is pretty too...
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bucho on Tue May 12, 2009 5:44 am

Jakob wrote:That is certainly what prog suffers from most. I can't deny it. That sums up the worst of a dodgy genre. But, like any genre, unless you dig into it you're only going to scratch the populous surface. Which in prog terms is Yes, Genesis and ELP which got played on the radio. All of which are horrible and have the dangerous rock crafted out of them. But when people talk about prog in positive terms, it's usually about the more avant garde, edgier, harder bands. I'm not sure it's a genre that is really worth exploring though unless it's calling to you. There's a Lake of Yes to navigate past before you find something listenable.

I hear you Jakob, and it's not that I necessarily stick purely to conventionally structured tunes like Weathereye, it's that it's not easy to encounter without seeking it out. I've accidentally found stuff I like from genres I don't like because they're around in the mediasphere (shit word, maybe not even a real one, but you get the drift). The closest thing I've encountered to prog that I really like is The Mars Volta, and they're coming from that wilder side of town you're talking about, taking Hispanic and Afro beats and punk aggression and going for wild rides on them. They're smart but they sound like they might actually break a sweat and/or bleed sometimes and just as importantly they sound like they've touched a girl or two before too. It's sexy as hell and that's how I like my rock to roll.
Bucho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top