Music Hurdles

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Music Hurdles

Post  Roundapanda on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:38 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:I've just realised that my previous statement of having no music hurdles is bull. I have one, so far, and he goes by the name of Morrissey. I just can't listen to any of his stuff, be that his solo stuff or The Smiths. Well, the exception being This Charming Man. I think the dude just scares me.

I have a Morrissey Hurdle too.
I feel like I should like him and beased on the kind of music I listen to, I really should!
I heard a few solo tracks that I like and I'm going to invest in The Queen Is Dead.
I am determined to get over this hurdle Razz
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:39 pm

And thanks for the rolling Stones reccomendations from Jakob and Kumar, tis greatly aprciated Very Happy
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:I've just realised that my previous statement of having no music hurdles is bull. I have one, so far, and he goes by the name of Morrissey. I just can't listen to any of his stuff, be that his solo stuff or The Smiths. Well, the exception being This Charming Man. I think the dude just scares me.

Me = Scared. pale

And I do ignore my friends Sissillie haha If I'm ever in a bad mood, which is probably quite often, I just stick Ave Maria on and the bad feelings melt away.

It took me ages to like The Smiths, oddly I only clicked when I brought all the albums saying to myself that I would listen to them over and over until I liked them. I still can't get into Morrisey's solo work though, I think that without Jonny Marr's melodies the songs fall down. I don't think that an album can be great on lyrical prowess alone.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm

I've always thought Morrissey's voice really jarred with the melodies in the Smiths tracks.
That's probably why I quite like his solo work, now I think about it
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 pm

I would agree with you on songs like Panic and The Boy With a Thorn in His Side, but there are other tracks, especially There Is A Light, that are just oozing with so much beauty, and its all down to a perfect combination of the tune and the vocals.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:17 pm

I don't care for much of his solo work other than Your Arsenal. I agree about the "lyrical prowess" statement. And even then, I think his Smiths-era lyrics were a bit better. Generally, even when listening to a good solo record I feel like I'd rather be listening to Smiths. And I think partly what makes Smiths so great is the clashing of Morrissey's and Marr's music personalities. They blend well, but in a vaguely fighting-against-each-other kind of way. I think that's what makes their pairing so successful.
Jakob

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka on Fri May 01, 2009 7:54 am

I don't think I will ever hurdle The Smiths & Morrissey. Despite them being one of Dave's favourite bands. I know and respect what they do, it just really isn't for me. I like my music more uplifiting. They had a great point to make about the time and place they came from. But the other stuff that cam out of Manchester in the 80's and early 90's was so much more me. I know I stand alone in my dislike of The Smiths, I've stood alone for as long as I can remember discussing music for. I have had to explain many times, "Yes I get it, I just don't like it."
Mekka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 am

Christian Rock. My wife loves it, but it does nothing for me.
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy on Fri May 01, 2009 8:22 am

2nd music hurdle I just realised I have. Anything to do with Pete Doherty, his solo stuff, The Libertines, Babyshambles. I haven't listened to any of his stuff bar one song that my mate sent me. It just sounds like a cat is getting strangled while being made to sing. I'd probably give that more of a chance than Morrissey, but that first statement I made in this thread is probably now debunked. lol
JonnyBoy

View user profile http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Fri May 01, 2009 9:30 am

Mekka wrote:They had a great point to make about the time and place they came from. But the other stuff that cam out of Manchester in the 80's and early 90's was so much more me.

It's certainly music for maudlin misfits. I'm not sure it's tied too much to Manchester though. It spoke/speaks to me on a more universal level. Though I have to be fairly blue to go on a Smiths bender. And when I am, it sounds gloriously happy. It's a sort of celebration of miserablism.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mekka on Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 am

No it definitely wasn't tied to Manchester. But it came from the pit the North-West of England was in then after the 70's depression. Unfortunately that wasn't limited to one city.
Mekka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Fri May 01, 2009 10:39 am

Marius wrote:Christian Rock. My wife loves it, but it does nothing for me.
I have that hurdle. But then one of my Nerds Hurdled over the past year is Wizard Rock, so maybe I should try this one. I've been told there's some really good stuff in there.
kumarhk

View user profile http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 pm

kumarhk wrote:
I have that hurdle. But then one of my Nerds Hurdled over the past year is Wizard Rock, so maybe I should try this one. I've been told there's some really good stuff in there.

I can't get into wizard rock far too serious, far too earnest Razz
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Fri May 01, 2009 12:39 pm

I can't get into Wizard Rock because I don't like comedy music. Including, but not limited to, Flight of the Conchords, Loney Island, Weird Al, Spinal Tap's actual songs (love the film), and anyone who makes "joke" or "ironic" songs.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Sun May 03, 2009 7:36 am

House music is a bit of a hurdle for me. For a start I'm not entirely sure what fits into the bracket of house, and what I have listened to seems a little boring.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sun May 03, 2009 9:39 am

Hayden_Bloom wrote:House music is a bit of a hurdle for me. For a start I'm not entirely sure what fits into the bracket of house, and what I have listened to seems a little boring.

I can't bare house music.
Why would I want to sit around listening to muic that does nothing but go nss nss nss nss nss nss

Keep house music in the club! That's where it belongs
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultact on Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 am

Not even the prolific Weird Al, Jakob?
Ultact

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 04, 2009 9:48 am

Especially Weird Al. Well, maybe I can stomach him simply from a nostalgic standpoint. I wouldn't listen by choice though. And I suppsoe YouTube is the place to "enjoy" musical comedy. But artists like Mojo Nixon, who aren't musical comedians but write "funny" and "wacky" songs rile me most. I guess I don't understand how people can put on Lonely Island and Weird Al as part of their regular listening. It's baffling to me.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Mon May 04, 2009 12:16 pm

For many years, I felt the same way (and I was the target audience!). I've found that the wrong stuff tends to be offered up as good examples, music that is too bland or derivative.
I recommend skipping Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Chris Tomlin, Relient K, and others that are popular but not the best of the best.

Here’s my take on the best of the best, and I'm not going to limit myself to the purest definition of "rock" nor to only artists that live/dwell on Christian labels. As you'll see, I don't even care if they perform CTC exclusively ... a good song is a good song. (I'll boldface a dozen personal favorites that represent well.)

Audio Adrenaline (Christian rock) – Mighty Good Leader, Hands and Feet

Black Sabbath (yes, them, an occasional song ... but I also love Danzig's "Godless" so go figure) – After Forever

Casting Crowns (Christian rock) – What This World Needs, Slow Fade, If We Are the Body, Voice of Truth, Stained Glass Masquerade, Does Anybody Hear Her?

Chris Rice (CTC – singer/songwriter) – Smile, Thirsty, The Final Move, Go Light Your World, The Face of Christ, Big Enough, Sometimes Love

DC Talk (CTC – blend) – Jesus Freak, Say The Words (Now), What If I Stumble, Socially Acceptable, What Have We Become, Coloured People

The Electrics (Celt-Christian rock) – Party Goin’ On Upstairs, Two Buns, Pour Me a Pint

The Indigo Girls (modern folk, but the interpretation for these songs seems clear, and powerful, to me) – Prince of Darkness, Let It Be Me

Jars of Clay (Christian rock) – Disappear, Flood, The Eleventh Hour, Faith Enough, I’m In The Way, Show You Love, Trouble Is (the delightfully challenging “Trouble Is”, I’d say)

Jennifer Knapp (CTC – blend) – Undo Me, Say Won’t You Say

Johnny Cash (you know him, and he’s got a delightfully complex catalog) – The Man Comes Around, Down There By the Train, Man in Black, Man in White

Kenny Rogers & The First Edition (‘60s folk-rock) – Tell It All, Brother

Sounds of Blackness (gospel choir with r&b blend) – Time for Healing, God Cares, So Far Away (with Jobim flavor), Your Wish is My Command, You Are the One

Third Day (Christian southern rock) – Sing a Song, You Are So Good To Me, It’s a Shame, Wire, Tunnel, Innocent, Love Song

Todd Snider (another complex catalog) – A lot More, Somebody’s Coming, Once He Finds Us, Back to the Crossroads

Victoria Williams (folk) – Holy Spirit

Violent Femmes (alterno-rolk rock) – Rejoice and Be Happy, Faith, Jesus Walking on the Water, It’s Gonna Rain
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 04, 2009 1:09 pm

What? No Stryper? Laughing
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Mon May 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Jakob wrote:What? No Stryper? Laughing
To Hell With... oh, nevermind. Wink
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Mon May 04, 2009 2:46 pm

GAB wrote:

Black Sabbath (yes, them, an occasional song ... but I also love Danzig's "Godless" so go figure) – After Forever

I actually understand where you're coming from on that. If you were to show someone just the lyrics from a lot of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Master of Reality, they might just think it was a Christian band. It really wasn't until Ozzy left and Ronnie James Dio came in that the music took on a more sinister flair.
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 04, 2009 3:03 pm

I had a Black Sabbath doc a while back where Tony Iommi explained that all the "Satanic" imagery they were saddled with came from an anti-Satan standpoint and the idea was Satan was supposed to be a "scary" thing to sing about. He, apparently a religious man himself, said, "I've worn my cross every day! The cross is the symbol for the band!" Also Dio, who is credited with creating the devil horn "rawk" hand sign, said in the Headbangers Journey doc, it was actually a sign his grandma used to ward off the evil eye. It was also a symbol of goodness.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Tue May 05, 2009 1:02 pm

I'm just listening to some spacerock and thinking it's probably a nerd hurdle for most people. Seeing as it's a sub-genre of prog rock. But man... a little spacerock makes my world orbit properly.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 pm

My daughter asked me about Aphex Twin yesterday, and the only track on my Zune right now is from a collection called Space Daze 2000. I wasn't expecting that. Actually, neither her question, nor my song options.

I enjoy Ozric Tentacles when I get in that early-Floyd mood.
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top