Welcome Hurdlers!

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcome Hurdlers!

Post  kumarhk on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:55 pm

All that kind of math can help you do is build a shitty little tiny, minuscule hut or something even more useless. If you want to see REAL calculus, I'll mail you some of my notebooks. Laughing
kumarhk

View user profile http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Crap, I'm already signed up for calculus next year, hahaha. I take difficult math (or the most difficult math available to me at school) as a fun hobby sort of thing, but would never think of going into it professionally. I'm much more interested in journalism and artsy things.
Bear Police

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Bear Police wrote:Crap, I'm already signed up for calculus next year, hahaha. I take difficult math (or the most difficult math available to me at school) as a fun hobby sort of thing, but would never think of going into it professionally. I'm much more interested in journalism and artsy things.
Took the words straight out of my mouth.

Of course, it was only AFTER I signed up that they told me that Hong Kong's standard of high school advanced mathematics was THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD. Shocked
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 am

kumarhk wrote:All that kind of math can help you do is build a shitty little tiny, minuscule hut or something even more useless. If you want to see REAL calculus, I'll mail you some of my notebooks. Laughing

I bet the notebooks would make me cry
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:56 am

Roundapanda wrote:
kumarhk wrote:All that kind of math can help you do is build a shitty little tiny, minuscule hut or something even more useless. If you want to see REAL calculus, I'll mail you some of my notebooks. Laughing

Sometimes they bring me close to tears. Especially the question for which I wrote four pages of answers ending with the conclusion "0=42". Sad
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am

I'm a math teacher. Eighth grade. Don't ask me ANYTHING beyond eigth grade math.
Mandi

View user profile http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Roundapanda on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:48 pm

kumarhk wrote:
Roundapanda wrote:

Sometimes they bring me close to tears. Especially the question for which I wrote four pages of answers ending with the conclusion "0=42". Sad

I just...
WHAT? THAT... I... MATH AND... 4 PAGES?... 42?... 0?

I'm going to go and cuddle my english book study
Roundapanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

But if you think of "0" being a metaphoric representation for the circular, continuous nature of Tao, and "42" being the answer to life, the universe and everything, Kumar's calculations were spot-on correct.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  JonnyBoy on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Jakob wrote:But if you think of "0" being a metaphoric representation for the circular, continuous nature of Tao, and "42" being the answer to life, the universe and everything, Kumar's calculations were spot-on correct.

My favourite post on the forum so far lol!
JonnyBoy

View user profile http://twitter.com/jonnyboyslim

Back to top Go down

Post  eltonmcmanus on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Hello everyone I'm Elton. I'm the annoying one from Apotheosis.

I wouldn't say I was a fully fledged nerd but some aspects of my life point in that direction.
I love Star Wars, computer games, films, formula 1, podcasts, Lost.... which all can be classed as nerdy, but one of my biggest nerd hurdles is Star Trek Shocked

If this was a hospital, I'd be on the treatment table with Mandi & Jacob looking down saying

"There's nothing we can do"

eltonmcmanus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm

eltonmcmanus wrote:Hello everyone I'm Elton. I'm the annoying one from Apotheosis.
I don't know about that, any fellow Essex dweller is a friend of mine.
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:44 pm

eltonmcmanus wrote:Hello everyone I'm Elton. I'm the annoying one from Apotheosis.

I wouldn't say I was a fully fledged nerd but some aspects of my life point in that direction.
I love Star Wars, computer games, films, formula 1, podcasts, Lost.... which all can be classed as nerdy, but one of my biggest nerd hurdles is Star Trek Shocked

If this was a hospital, I'd be on the treatment table with Mandi & Jacob looking down saying

"There's nothing we can do"

Nerd Denial!!!

I've been reliably informed that any Podcast interest is a DEAD GIVEAWAY!! Let alone actually making a podcast!! You, like me, need to embrace your Nerdom
ori-STUDFARM

View user profile http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Fri May 01, 2009 12:33 am

Mandi wrote:I'm a math teacher. Eighth grade. Don't ask me ANYTHING beyond eigth grade math.
Ah, eighth grade math ... back then, trigonometry was limited to triangles, coordinate geometry made sense, and mensuration didn't involve pi. I wish I was back in eighth grade.

Actually, no. My eighth grade math teacher sucked. Why don't I get people like Mandi as teachers?
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius on Fri May 01, 2009 7:55 am

Mensuration? I thought that was a girl problem. jocolor
Marius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk on Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Marius wrote:Mensuration? I thought that was a girl problem. jocolor
I knew that was coming ... I made that joke for two years straight Laughing
kumarhk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Bloody pi is the worst part of mensuration.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi on Fri May 01, 2009 1:52 pm

A slice of pi is only a fraction of the inconvinience associated with mensuration.
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 am

"Gosh, I could have had a V-8!" -- an old acquaintance once said. No
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Mon May 04, 2009 9:08 am

Welcome aboard, GAB. I know you're breaking a personal 1-forum code being here. We're deeply honoured. Very Happy
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB on Mon May 04, 2009 9:50 am

And started with one of the naughtiest jokes I know, too! (If only I hadn't heard it ... um, nevermind).

Seems like good practice to start with an overview of nerddoms. Some of these are clear and obvious. Others are made nerdy by the degree of obsession. Yet others are a mixture from column A and column B.

Surrealism - I even watch "Gilligan's Island" for the dream sequences and most of them are horrible.
Luis Bunuel - good old proper film surrealism. I've seen 26 of his 34 films and own 2 of the ones I haven't gotten around to seeing yet. I've owned Un Chien Andalou in 3 video formats ... and I haven't picked up the DVD yet to make it 4. Before it was released on video in America, I made a 6-hour drive (round trip) to watch Belle De Jour at the cinema ... the film broke for the 7:30 show and I waited for the 10 p.m. show before heading home.

Other film - I'm very highbrow, but I also love schlocky 1970s made-for-TV films like "Killdozer."
Speaking of TV - Jonny Quest, Underdog, Joan Of Arcadia, Big Bang Theory, Night Gallery, Circle Of Fear (again '70s and may be known as "Ghost Story" or even William Castle's Ghost Stories), Twin Peaks, Star Trek.
Speaking of Star Trek - I'm primarily a TOSser, but I enjoyed most of TNG and some of DS9. I get the impression I didn't give DS9 enough of a chance. I know I didn't give Voyager or Enterprise enough of a chance -- probably seen more Animated Series episodes than those two combined. I've seen every movie, prior to May of this year.

Religion - wow, didn't know this was nerdy ... but then, you might not know likewise if you were into martial arts or others. I have my faith, but I studied most others at university and found it far more interesting than my major (journalism).
Writing - essays, poetry, but also devotionals and sermons, and personal letters from me do not come often but always seem to have heart-on-sleeve.

Music - crazy variety. The Zune is always on shuffle, when it isn't on podcasts. Punk, other alternative, jazz, contemporary christian, heavy metal, classical, easy listening, rap, old-school r&b, world music, country and bluegrass, spoken word, etc.
I've never dressed the part, though. I agree with Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys: "A hair style is not a lifestyle; imagine Sid Vicious at 35."

Sports - oh yes, sports can be uber-geeky. Being a soccer (football) fan in Europe is "normal" but being a soccer fan in America is, well, let's just say it's a big hurdle for a lot of people. I also like American football and a lot of college sports. Even then, though, preferring college hockey to the NHL is a bit off-putting for most sports fans.

And there is one more ... one I don't think I've shared before outside of family and work-friends: paper football.
Paper football is where you fold an 8x11 piece of paper into a triangle, slide it across a slick table surface and try to hover it over your opponent's edge of the table to score "touchdowns" and extra points / field goals are kicked by flicking the paper-triangle through goal posts made by your opponent's fingers.
I would understand someone saying that this is "just a game" and not really all that geeky. However...
My brother and I get together every year, one of us traveling with a special table purchased for just this reason, and play a best-of-7 tournament we call the "annual paper football classic." It began when we were kids, well over 30 years ago. Started keeping track exactly 30 years ago. I have scores from all of those games stored in Excel. In the 30 years, the series is tied up 15-15.
In our game, there are 7 officially sanctioned kicking styles, or ways of kicking a triangle-shaped football on a field goal attempt ... but I probably should stop now (and not while I'm ahead either). Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GAB on Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rob on Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 pm

My Linux notebook is not too fond of this forum but despite the sluggishness I shall persist and try to hop over on this forum now and then . I have been listening to all the podcasts from the Jakob camp since Preview/review EP-4 and cannot get enough of them . Nerd Hurdles is one of my favorite podcasts.

Rob ( Formerly robert1325)
rob

View user profile http://robert1325.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony on Thu May 14, 2009 6:32 pm

GAB wrote:And there is one more ... one I don't think I've shared before outside of family and work-friends: paper football.
Paper football is where you fold an 8x11 piece of paper into a triangle, slide it across a slick table surface and try to hover it over your opponent's edge of the table to score "touchdowns" and extra points / field goals are kicked by flicking the paper-triangle through goal posts made by your opponent's fingers.
I would understand someone saying that this is "just a game" and not really all that geeky. However...
My brother and I get together every year, one of us traveling with a special table purchased for just this reason, and play a best-of-7 tournament we call the "annual paper football classic." It began when we were kids, well over 30 years ago. Started keeping track exactly 30 years ago. I have scores from all of those games stored in Excel. In the 30 years, the series is tied up 15-15.
In our game, there are 7 officially sanctioned kicking styles, or ways of kicking a triangle-shaped football on a field goal attempt ... but I probably should stop now (and not while I'm ahead either). Rolling Eyes

That is seriously very cool.
Tony

View user profile http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JayMasterOfNone on Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Hey Jakob and Mandi & everyone else.
It's Jay from the Masters of None podcast here. Love the show & especially the theme song, probably the best podcast theme song I've ever heard. Just Dl'd 4 shows, got so much catching up to do. Can't wait to hear em, especially the podcasting one. What a world...what a world...
Jay
MastersOfNoneShow.com
JayMasterOfNone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob on Wed May 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Cheers, Jay. The theme is the suprise hit of my music career. Kind of sad. Though it's finally over taken the Richard Smith remix I did last year and that makes me feel better.

And welcome all the new hurdlers who've joined in the last few weeks! Good to have you all aboard.
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom on Wed May 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Jakob wrote:Though it's finally over taken the Richard Smith remix I did last year and that makes me feel better.
What is that? Where can I find that?
Hayden_Bloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum