Nerd Hurdles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nerd Pride

+9
Hayden_Bloom
ori-STUDFARM
Bear Police
Marius
kumarhk
Tony
Domino
Mandi
Jakob
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nerd Pride Empty Nerd Pride

Post  Jakob Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 am

Sort of a reverse of the "hurdle FAIL" idea. What makes you proud to be a nerd? What nerd items are you proud to own? What geekinalia do you wear with pride?
Jakob
Jakob

http://nerdhurdles.com

Back to top Go down

Nerd Pride Empty Re: Nerd Pride

Post  Mandi Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:13 am

This is the poster child for Nerd Pride. Her name is Commander Barbara Adams and she is proud.

Nerd Pride Adams2
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Nerd Pride Empty Obama Nerd pride?

Post  Domino Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Well...I'm not sure this counts. But we're sort of Obama nerds.
We have this sweet Lance Wyman Obama poster that i LOVE that we ordered on ebay cause canadians can't buy Obama merch since it's considered a campaign donation.
But anyway I definitely display this with pride.
Probably one of my top 5 favorite things we own.

Nerd Pride D2f8395a
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Domino wrote:Well...I'm not sure this counts. But we're sort of Obama nerds.

Obama nerds. And total Graphic Design nerds.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:45 pm

so....you're saying it doesn't count? fine then...

This is gonna blow your mind then....Hurdle FAIL/Nerd Pride

In highschool I made this model...I can't even remember what they are called anymore...the 4 legged mammoth beast robots from Empire Strikes Back. Anyway, I carefully made this model of one and adored it then decided it was too nerdy and threw it in a box where it broke and I never looked at it again.

In that same box can also be found my PONG collection binder, blueprint of the Millenium Falcon, illustrated letter I had written to some fan magazine, and old pictures of Keannu Reeves i cut out of magazines. It's sort of my Hurdle Box. This doesn't really belong in the Nerd Pride topic....
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Nerd Pride....huh, the first thing I think of is baseball hats. I have about 50 of them, not that I wear them every day. And I usually have 5 or so in rotation depending on what I think is cool at the moment.

Being a musician and a fan of music is a form of nerdiness, one can say--by that I mean it is very easy to take it all too seriously, and to think you know everything about the subject (or at least what you like musically). I wear my "Dave's Guitar Shop" (La Crosse, Wisconsin) a lot. I must think I'm cool cuz I shop at the coolest guitar store in the area, or something! Very Happy I'm also very fond of my Telecaster pickguard autographed by all 4 members of the Australian Space Rock Band "THE CHURCH", basically the best band in the world. Hint, you want to meet the band? Get there early and try to get into the soundcheck.

I wear my SOUTH PARK baseball hat a lot, too. I bought it the very first season the show was on. I think the show is absolutely hilarious, and dead on in who and what they rip. But I imagine their portrayal of Canadians having their heads separated at the jaw is not physically accurate. That's just a guess.

I actually have a Nerd Hurdle about people who take sports waaaay too seriously. I'm a fan, yes, but I'm also realistic. The ball doesn't always bounce your way, you're going to lose some games, so don't bitch about it. Sports radio call-in shows really get some oddballs. But I digress. I show my sports nerd pride with my Minnesota Gophers (college, all sports) hat, Minnesota Twins (pro baseball) hat, Minnesota Vikings (pro football) hat, Minnesota Wild (pro hockey) hat, and a plethora of Rochester Mayo Spartans (my old high school, my dad was the football coach there, and I’ve worked with the football, soccer and hockey teams for years). And yes, to bring it on home, I do own a THE X-FILES hat. I want to believe.

Related to sports, but more to family, I wear my Clemson Tigers hat a lot. My niece, Mallory, is one of the swimming coaches there:

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/c-swim/mtt/pucci_mallory00.html

…and that is pretty darn awesome!

To further the hat thing, I have several flannel baseball hats with the thermal lining the the earflaps that fold down for cold weather. I’m a Minnesotan, eh, and that’s just over the border from the capital of Nerd Hurdles, Canada.

Interestingly, I’ve been daydreaming about buying a new Iron Maiden rock/tour t-shirt. All of my old ones were lost years ago. Rock t-shirts are such a teenage thing to wear, but when I feel like rocking out, it’s usually to Iron Maiden or Rush. And rock-n-roll is a very good thing.

I don’t think tattoos are nerdy, but I get a lot of comments on my “Crazy Tony” tattoo. Most people like it a lot. It’s “me” holding up a guitar pick looking very insane. My (Canadian) friend Landon gives a “crazy” tattoo to all of his friends (he ended up living in the states for a while and married the daughter of the bass player in my band). The thing is, I feel this tattoo is a visual reflection of my inner energy and essence, and it really reminds me to be true to myself. If some people don’t get (can’t hurdle) that, then fuck ‘em. You can see the tattoo somewhat in this picture of my sister and I:

Nerd Pride Tony_jenny_baseball_500pxl
Tony
Tony

http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:30 pm

My nerd pride is conveyed by the fact that I talk about my nerdoms a LOT.
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marius Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Domino wrote:the 4 legged mammoth beast robots from Empire Strikes Back.
That would be your basic All Terrain Armored Transport, or AT-AT for short. Or Imperial Walkers.
(slinks back to the Nerdcave) Shocked
Marius
Marius

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 pm

THAT'S IT. All i could keep thinking was X1-X1 fighters. Which aren't anything I dont think.

Thank you!
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Domino wrote:so....you're saying it doesn't count? fine then...

No I flat-out called you a design nerd.

That story is hilarious.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 pm

Oh, ok. The '68 Mexico Olympics are still the hotist shit ever! Look at that go-go dress!

Nerd Pride Lance_wyman2

I still think "Design" with a capital D is a nerd hurdle for you jake.

I guess I'm also showing some sort of nerd pride by either using or not using certain typefaces.

Where is the line between Nerd Pride and Nerd Elitism? Hmm......
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 pm

kumarhk wrote:My nerd pride is conveyed by the fact that I talk about my nerdoms a LOT.
Yeah man, it's gotten to the point where everything I like is something that other people could see as "nerdy" but when you surround yourself with those things, they just become your norm. My bedroom is littered with esoteric comics, movies, books, and music, all of which I'm so entrenched in that I don't see them as anything particularly weird or worth pointing out as a sign of nerd pride, but when I start talking about that kind of stuff with a normal friend, it becomes pretty apparent how much of a total nerd I am.

@Domino, that is, unequivocally , the hottest shit.

Last edited by Bear Police on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Also, Jumpsuit, you should take a close up of that tattoo. Im intrigued. Are you holding it like He-man Master of the Universe style? Because that would be awesome.
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:00 am

Domino wrote: Where is the line between Nerd Pride and Nerd Elitism? Hmm......

I see a certain throughline between the Obama poster and the Mexico '68 theme.

That's a tricky line. The Nerd Elitism I think comes out of two things. 1) When the person is not at ease with their nerdom and so raise if above others' interests to assert themselves and 2) They're so truly passionate about their nerdom that they lose perspective.

I second the motion for a close up of the tattoo.
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:22 am

Ah, I have a better pic of the tattoo at home. I'll try to get it online soon. It has some company on that arm now anyway, so it's time to update....
Tony
Tony

http://www.tonypucci.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am

Jakob wrote:I see a certain throughline between the Obama poster and the Mexico '68 theme.

Bah ha, throughline.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  ori-STUDFARM Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:13 pm

I have nerd pride for my Akira collection. I have 34 of the 38 book version. I have 2 of the 6 books version and I have 8 of what (I think) is a 10 book release. (but can't quite remember) I own both soundtracks, DVD and VHS releases widescreen subtitled version and normal scale dubbed version. I've also got an original cell from the movie of the Colonel.

I also have 2 massive prints framed in the front room. Mrs Studfarm hates them so much that when we redecorated and I insisted they were going back up, she put a lump hammer through the frames!! I went to Ikea and spent ANOTHER £40 on new picture frames. My Akira pride seems to take precedent over my marriage.

I'm not really into manga, I struggle to clear the Perv Hurdle in most of them. I quite enjoy the Legend of the Overfiend movie. Moments in it are too pervy, but I think the storyline is strong enough to make it worth watching...otherstuff just makes me squirm in discomfort!! Unless its Battle of the Planets!!
ori-STUDFARM
ori-STUDFARM

http://www.reddwarfforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Domino Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:30 pm

If you have to make more then one exception when saying "I'm not really into...." than that means you're into it.

That's some weird Hurdle grey area.
Domino
Domino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Police Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:34 pm

ori-STUDFARM wrote:I have nerd pride for my Akira collection. I have 34 of the 38 book version. I have 2 of the 6 books version and I have 8 of what (I think) is a 10 book release. (but can't quite remember) I own both soundtracks, DVD and VHS releases widescreen subtitled version and normal scale dubbed version. I've also got an original cell from the movie of the Colonel.
I am so ridiculously jealous of this. I can't even afford to buy the $20 a pop 6-issue comics, so I've had to get the trashed copies from the library every time I want to reread it.
Bear Police
Bear Police

Back to top Go down

Post  kumarhk Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 am

Domino wrote:Well...I'm not sure this counts. But we're sort of Obama nerds.
We have this sweet Lance Wyman Obama poster that i LOVE that we ordered on ebay cause canadians can't buy Obama merch since it's considered a campaign donation.
But anyway I definitely display this with pride.
Probably one of my top 5 favorite things we own.

Nerd Pride D2f8395a
I want that.

I'm a closet Obama nerd.
kumarhk
kumarhk

http://thekumarexperience.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayden_Bloom Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I've always been a proud geek/nerd, and I think to be honest people have had more acceptance of my geeky tomfoolery than of others that I know. I don't know why, I suppose its because I lot of people realise that I aint gonna stop talking about films, so why bother trying.
Hayden_Bloom
Hayden_Bloom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandi Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:26 am

It seems that just about everyone on this forum is a proud nerd. I guess that's to be expected. Now it's our job to help get those ashamed nerds to come out of their basements.
Mandi
Mandi

Back to top Go down

Post  sherlock2040 Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 pm

I'm a proud Nerd, the majority of my t-shirts are sci-fi related (or are from various theatre hire companies). The best thing I've done though is twice I've operated the lighting console at work wearing my TOS-era Star Trek uniform. This is a photo of the type of board we have, so just picture three monitors, one on the left and two on the right, displaying lists of cues and what lights are on and at what percentage - https://2img.net/h/i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/sherlock2040/lighting2.jpg
sherlock2040
sherlock2040

http://starshipteapot.com/log/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakob Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Hey! Welcome to the forums Sherlock! Michael from the latest episode has the same job as yourself. And of course Marius does something similar. Seems to be a proud nerd career!
Jakob
Jakob

Back to top Go down

Post  GAB Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Mandi wrote:It seems that just about everyone on this forum is a proud nerd. I guess that's to be expected. Now it's our job to help get those ashamed nerds to come out of their basements.
Funny that you should mention basements. I feel I show my nerd pride pretty freely, but the basement is one of the places I do that.

When we "finished" the basement, the stairs divided it into two sides. One is music and the other is movies.
The music side has a CD wall, alphabetized with no sub-category (except Christmas music) by Artist-Release Date-Title, along with an LP wall sorted the same way. Spots above the racks are decorated with 12x12 album art with some fairly obscure titles.
Giselle Mackenzie sings "Dominique" and other French Folk Songs
King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
Treat Her Right - Tied To The Tracks

You get the idea.

The movie side does NOT have a home theatre system (I'm too frugal), but it does have a DVD-projector and a full size popcorn popper. Decorations are movie themed, including a large number of 11x17 or 11x14 reproductions of one-sheet posters:
Lord of the Rings, The Incredibles, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Young Frankenstein, The Lost Continent (Hammer), Brazil, Seven Samurai, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, Reds, Ghostbusters, Belle De Jour, Star Wars (before anyone thought to name it "episode IV"), etc.

No conflicts with my wife -- a little push-back on Belle De Jour due to Catherine Deneuve's side-boob. She helped decorate, even led the process most of the way.
Then again, it is the basement. geek
GAB
GAB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next